1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you have a ‘lottery’ house ?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Toomuchtooyoung, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Toomuchtooyoung

Toomuchtooyoung Occasional commenter

By that I mean a house you would buy if you won big ? Every now and then I check in with Right move to see if my lottery house is still on the market. Today just had a look at what’s available in Corfu. Found a lovely villa with guest house and private beach. Where’s your lottery house?

colpee and vannie like this.
  2. sodalime

sodalime Lead commenter

I have more than one. There are plots of land I've been watching for years, fixer-uppers with potential and drool worthy houses. If i won big, it's the acreage that would matter, not the house that matters so much. I'm fussy.

3. blue451

blue451 Senior commenter

A small flat with a view of the sea and from which I can hear the waves.
    Easy access to nearly town or city with bookshops.

colpee, cissy3 and Toomuchtooyoung like this.
  4. Toomuchtooyoung

Not sure I have the imagination to build my own.

5. Toomuchtooyoung

Which sea though ? I do like the necessary bookshop

blue451 likes this.
  6. blue451

blue451 Senior commenter

I haven't decided yet. Have worked overseas for quite a while now and have several favourite places that I've got to know along the way. Not all of which are by the sea so maybe I'll have to rethink...

Toomuchtooyoung likes this.
  7. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I too like a bit of space between me and my neighbours, but you have to factor in the cost of maintaining the land.

I dunno about you, but I'm aware that owning land rather than a garden is beyond my ability to maintain, so a chunk of the money would need to be set aside to pay for someone to keep it under control.

The trouble with plants is that they don't have the good sense to look after themselves. Unless you show them who's boss, they'll run as wild as kids do these days. It's bad enough having kids skating out of supermarket aisle on the heelies or doing star jumps beside their mothers as you try to pass by.

Imagine what it's like when plants are allowed to behave in the same way, without a concern for others. You'd be tripping over them all the time and have them look at you as they were guiltless and you ought to have been watching where you were going.

Don't get me started on those pillocks who can't leave their mobile phones alone for a second and have no comprehension why it creates problems for the rest of us.

towncryer and sodalime like this.
  8. vannie

vannie Star commenter

I would have one of the houses opposite the entrance to Lime Park just where High Lane becomes Disley. And something grand in Corfu (which is where I am right now)

colpee and Toomuchtooyoung like this.
  9. sodalime

sodalime Lead commenter

Not if you rent it out to local farmers :)

10. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

Not sure that I do. I'd quite like a loft conversion where I am. It sounds horribly smug, but we got our house cheaply as it hadn't been touched since the 50s. We had to do everything, so most of it is as we want as we had control over changes and didn't live with the artex on every surface or the studded pleather gimp staircase.

Having said that I wouldn't mind a house on Tite Street in the shadow of Oscar Wilde.

towncryer, cissy3 and Toomuchtooyoung like this.
  11. Flowersinspring

Flowersinspring Senior commenter

Somewhere with a tree with branches strong enough to hold an oak swing. A wild flower meadow, a stream, views over the sea. The house: huge, light- filled rooms, higgledy-piggledy and not draughty.

One can dream.

12. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Those colonial style houses in the USA - the ones with the massive porch area, hammock and that.

And on the Californian coast.

primarycat likes this.
  13. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

I reckon this would be mine.

[​IMG]

14. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Something next to some water. I'm not bothered what-a river, the sea, a small stream-and a view isn't going to be enough, it has to be NEXT to the water. I've spent too much time inland!

knitone, cissy3 and towncryer like this.
  15. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I'm happy where I am.

bombaysapphire, knitone and blue451 like this.
  16. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I've a list. Getting Mr Aqua the change-phobic to join me would be less likely than the lottery win.

17. towncryer

towncryer Senior commenter

Somewhere far away from everything and with no internet/phone or TV reception..where we can get away from the world...just us and our rescue animals (I would open an animal sanctuary)
    Mind you I would probably have to get divorced as that is far from my hubs idea of lottery heaven.He probably breaths a sigh of relief each time he doesn't win.

sodalime likes this.
  18. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Mine overlooks the sea at Sandbanks near Poole. I also have my dream garage with six cars in it.

19. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

I love my house. I'd transplant it to a remote part of the northern Pennines.

20. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

That made me laugh!

I'm now of an age when I've got to recognise my limitations, so I would still have to be near a shop, and a nice pub would be good.

I never, ever thought I'd say this, but possibly a bungalow :eek:

Timber framed, Tolkienesque, near the sea, with an arty crafty milieu nearby.

primarycat and sodalime like this.
  21. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

You know there's an off button, yes?