1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you have a health food or drink that actually works??

Discussion in 'Personal' started by dumpty, May 28, 2019.

1. dumpty

dumpty Lead commenter

Just tried apple cider vinegar as it was recommended as the fountain of youth. Fountain of puke more like....man, it is awful to drink.

Yes, maybe it cleans your insides - by dissolving them!

Anyone else have some fancy ideas about what I can take to make me a physical and mental God (again)?:p

nomad likes this.
  2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I do the cider vinegar. I like it.

Black coffee.

needabreak likes this.
  3. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I take a supermarket-brand Berocca substitute every day and I still feel like ****.

yodaami2, lanokia and nomad like this.
  4. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

All these ideas are just fads. They are just "snake oil". For starters everbody's metabolism is different, and while some may process certain nutrients in certains ways, others will not. This is obvious from physiological experiments. If you were a skinny minny in your youth and are now much more rounded in shape, it is the calories (more correctly Joules) you input. There never seem to be any dangers pointed out in fad diets, fad exercise regimes, fad health advice. Some are obviously nuts (like Gwynnie's steamed vagina!!!), some are more benign, rarely are allergies taken into account. I managed to get my weight to about 12 stone (at six foor two) when I was at Uni, playing squash and weight training, now my knees are knackered, I have permanent tennis elbow, all my joints creak and can be painful and my right knee collapses occasionally, Why? Cos I'm old and weigh more like sixteen stone now. I'm fat. I eat too much (I like food, and crisps, nuts, sweets, chocolate, cake). I know the answer; eat less. I'll never be like I was at uni. I live with it.

5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Just cut back on your sugar intake. You'll feel much better for it.

6. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Dark chocolate...works for me!:)

7. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Maleficent drinks that. She also drinks beetroot juice.

dumpty likes this.
  8. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I've never let Joules into me.

BertieBassett2 likes this.
  9. dumpty

dumpty Lead commenter

This I do agree with. When I overdo the sugar I feel lethargic and then feel I need to take more to beat the lethargy.

Cutting well back has me feeling much better.

10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I cut mine back and now if I do indulge I start sweating and I can feel my heart pick up a pace... decidedly nasty stuff.

11. dumpty

dumpty Lead commenter

I would not have the discipline and would soon replace it with a full fat Galaxy milk choc bar.

I eat those so quickly I feel sick.

It is a good sick, tho....

12. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I had a few squares of Green & Black's 70% cocoa solids dark chocolate (other good brands are available..I don't count Galaxy among them, of course!;)) at lunch, and I'm feeling good, thanks! :D

dumpty and borges33 like this.
  13. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

Water. Just that.

ShowerGel and (deleted member) like this.
  14. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Works? What do you mean?

Efficacious in every case?

15. towncryer

towncryer Senior commenter

The opposite. I tried drinking soya milk as it's supposed to be healthy but it triggers a painful auto immune reaction.
    Took me ages and weeks of pain to realise it was the soya.

Without a doubt. Water is the key to most wellness. But not this fancy low sodium stuff.

16. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Don't drink water. Fish pee in it.

17. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Turmeric tea is the fad in my office.
    Stinks.

18. dumpty

dumpty Lead commenter

Quite a lot of his material is on Youtube. The man is outrageously funny with that timing only a few, real few comedians have that makes an obvious and quite banal joke reduce you to howls of laughter.

19. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Guilt, not sugar.

20. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

My hippyish sister recommended a Vitamin D3 supplement spray over winter - I can't say it's done any harm and it may have benefitted my teeth, as it boosts calcium.

I don't mess with obscure nuts, roots and fungi though.