1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you have a different voice for different age groups?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Teacher1974, Jun 24, 2011.

1. We were out on the field for sports day today and I realised that I spoke in lower junior voice to the Y3s and 4s and my upper junior voice to the older ones. Didn't even know I did this until today!!!

2. reddevil

reddevil New commenter

If anything I think that I probably have a KS1 and a KS2 voice.

3. I avoid KS1 whenever possible so I stick to KS2!! Infants have terrified me since teaching practice when they stroked my legs in the book corner. Totally freaked me out!

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Definitely do. I had to tell off some year 2s yesterday for ruining a wall display. My, year 6, class were horrified at how 'nice' I was while doing so. They told me that 'just cos they are small doesn't mean you have to be that nice to them. You should have shouted at them properly.' OK It was my class's display and they were upset about it, but it amused me none the less.

Must toughen up before September or the year 2s will walk all over me.

5. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

Definitly. I work in a middle school and am usually much softer with Key Stage 2 than 3, although this year my class (Year 6) are horrinle and they have had some of my loudest rants!!!!

6. I've noticed that when I was on placement i was much softer, quieter to when i'm on supply teaching duties.
    I have year 5 Septemeber so not sure what it's going to be like with my own class.:S

7. Ooh, I love a good rant!!!

8. Not really - I seem to always start off with a softer, simpler voice with my KS1 class..then quickly resort to my normal voice and vocab. Its tiring having to put on that voice all the time, and I find my class respond much better to me talking to them like normal people, rather than babying them. I think the softly softly approach is fine with very small children, but once they are 4 or 5 they are able to relate and respond to normal interaction.
    It also does no favours for their vocab when we dumb down our words too much (though I know that wasnt the topic of this thread - just food for thought.)

9. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Yep. Speak to KS1 like they are deaf small animals.
    Speak to Upper Key Stage 2 like they are in my gang in the Scheme.

10. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

It really frustrates me when staff from other classes try to tell my nursery kids off in a nicey nicey voice or worse even jolly and joke them into doing as they are told. Obviously there is no need to scream and shout, but they won't break and it is ok to be cross with them. They don't behave in nursery by magic, but because we are very strict, have high expectations of behaviour and we do get very cross when needed. I think sometimes staff need to remember their own kids if the have them. Would you have let your own 3 and 4 year old ignore you if you asked them to do something or get away with a strop? Of course you wouldn't. Have to say staff without kids are the worst offenders. Sorry rant over, I have just had a bad week with other staff treating my kids inappropriately and suffering the consequences.
    That said I have had a few Y6 kids who weren't on a trip this week and I definately have a Y6 voice! ;)

11. lardylady

lardylady Lead commenter

I certainly didn't adopt a softer voice/approach when I moved to Y1 this year. The Reception teacher always sounds so soft and sickly I want to scream, and as a result her class are a bunch of buggers.

12. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

This is quite comforting to read that I can still rant and rave and have a bad day with KS1 children.

Not sure they will totally get all my sarcasm and wit though.

13. lardylady

lardylady Lead commenter

M
    They take everything literally at at that age. I have 2 girls who constantly squabbled about being first (or last) in line, and I told them that first and last place were the most dangerous ones to be in a line, because the school crocodile sometimes hides around corners and always gobbles up those children first. They both burst into tears and now nobody wants to be first or last!!

14. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOLOLOL See that is exactly what worries me! That is precisely the sort of thing I would say as well!

15. flickaz

flickaz New commenter

I use my year 6 voice on all of them. My class find it quite amusing that I can be sitting with them having a nice quiet conversation or a bit of a laugh then when a naughty child from another year appears at the door for time out I can switch on my "you're in big trouble now" voice, tell them off and then turn back to my group and carry on being nice.

16. My Y6's also find it hilarious if I'm being the big bad Y6 teacher with naughty kids from other year groups. They know me being cross is just an act and they end up stifling giggles and trying to make me crack and grin when I'm telling other kids off.
    I also have a nicey nicey voice for little ones which I definitely could not use with UKS2 and expect to be taken seriously.

17. lardylady

lardylady Lead commenter

I don't really think that should be encouraged- they should see your reprimands of other children as serious, not a joke.

18. razziegyp

razziegyp New commenter

No, I'm with you on that one gellins.... my Year 6s burst out laughing when I've done the big bad scary rant at a naughty Year 2, as soon as they've gone out the door with a flea in their ear!!

19. I think it does them good to see that when teachers are cross, it's not personal.

We were reflecting this week at how uber-strict I was back in September. They'd completely forgotten. But they're going to get it all over again, and far worse, in September.

They have some insight now that they have a lot of influence over how easy-going or strict their teachers are with them and that teachers would far rather be enjoying their company than telling them off. Seeing it in action when I'm dealing with other kids is very funny for them but only because they get the joke - in that sense it is a valuable learning experience.

20. lardylady

lardylady Lead commenter

I would certainly agree with this, but I don't think they should cross the line to the extent that they try to make you 'crack and grin'. It's great that you have such a good relationship with your class, but ultimately they are the children and you are the adult, and they should realise that some boundaries are not to be crossed.