1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

do you have a bumbo?!

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by lucchese, Apr 2, 2011.

1. lucchese

lucchese New commenter

I bought a bumbo off ebay for less than half the price, but my LO hated it and wouldn't stay in it more than a few minutes, it also made him sick! Obviously it depends on if your child takes to it, but for what it's worth, I think they are a gimmick. You'd be better off with an inflatable ring, which are about 10 pounds cheaper and have more months' use in them. From 5 to 9 months he would stay happily in there for up to an hour and when he learnt to climb out, around 9 months, we kept all the toys in there so he could climb in and out and get them. He probably would have used it earlier if I had had it.

2. sjw2007

sjw2007 New commenter

Luckily we were lent one as our daughter was only in it for 2 weeks! She learnt to propel her way out of it by putting her feet on the floor and arching her back. I second the baby nest though... Used ours every day for nearly 6 months and only put it away as we didn't have room after all the xmas pressies! Also a lot more portable than a bumbo. If you want something to sit him in with a tray, then I'd get a high chair you'll definitely need one of those!

3. I bought one at 3 months and my baby hated it and it just got shoved in the corner. Then at around 6 months I gave it another go for weaning and it was brilliant with the tray on. It has been used almost everyday since and now at almost 14 months it's still going strong. He goes and gets it and sits in it when he wants a snack and just climbs out when he's had enough! Not it's purpose I know but has been useful for us. I really think it depends on the baby though, mine is really long and thin and has skinny legs and is still wearing size 3 nappies. Have seen 5 month olds at baby clinic who are heavier with much chunkier thighs who probably wouldn't fit in.

4. [​IMG] Have you been there when me and LO have been there?!

5. lucchese

lucchese New commenter

Maybe girls like it better? For the record, my LO (boy) hated his bouncy chair too. He just wanted to be held. I guess the best advice is to borrow if you can to try out first... But I still think bumbos are overpriced for what they are - which is where ebay comes in v useful if you have to buy.

6. loobieloo

loobieloo New commenter

mine is borrowed but I used it as a high-chair at first on the dining rm table, now I use it in the bathroom to clean his teeth. he can get out but if he's given his toothbrush to play with he stays there while I sort clothes or towels etc. I have liked it - its handy. also take it to grandmas as a high chair - on floor this time!