1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you get paid to be a PGCE mentor?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by sciencequeen00, Mar 30, 2012.

1. sciencequeen00

sciencequeen00 New commenter

If anyone knows please let me know

2. sciencequeen00

sciencequeen00 New commenter

If anyone knows please let me know

3. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

No. The school gets a payment from their university to honor expenses incurred, though typically this means extra cash in the budget for the hosting department. You do it to pass on your expertise to the next generation of teachers.

4. mrkeys

mrkeys Occasional commenter

.....well when I did this my dept got the money less a bit for supply cover cost. Started quite a few years back and over several different schools, last did this about 5 years ago.
    There had to be an incentive to do the work, and don't reply saying it's good for career/school/etc.
    .........someone on SLT will be getting a few ticks on their development plan.......

5. trinity0097

trinity0097 New commenter

When I did it we didn't but we did get additional money to spend as we pleased in the dept and had a reduced workload because of thE trainee taking at leat two of your own classes.

6. Depends on the school. At my current school, we get paid £150 for every trainee teacher we look after.

7. nope.
    We got a school payment of £100 ish. We bought some new class readers with it

8. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

the emntor doesn't get any extra pay as the time involved will be part of their Directed Time hours. They should be allocated non-contact time for the mentor meeting and, obviously, for the observations.
    The school will get a fee for taking a student but it's up to the school if it goes into the general budget or if some or all f it goes to the department supporting the student. Some of the fee is ring-fenced as a photocopying allocation for the student in my experience, so that they don't eat into the department's photocopying budget. Students love to copy everything in sight!

9. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

We used to get paid (about £200 a student) under a previous head who believed in rewarding staff for any extra work but then we got a new head...................

10. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

I am the professional mentor and I do. At the moment, we have 5 trainees in 5 departments and I oversee all of the admin and placement planning, organise and run their PD sessions, and observe each of them twice. I get no time for this, so it has to be done in my PPA!
    As recompense, I get a proportion of the money that comes into school for them. The rest is allocated to renting a laptop from school, and then to departmental capitation (which never covers the amount they spend on copying!)
    Subject mentors don't get paid because we felt that the money was better used on trying to balance the books. Some depts have the same mentor year on year; others swap each placement.