1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you get paid if you are off because your kids are ill?

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by STAXC, Mar 21, 2012.

1. If you are a classroom teacher, fully employed by the school blah blah, do you get paid for the day if you have to take it off because your kids are ill?
    I was shocked when my colleague told me they don't, as I know that we all get paid if we are off for the day because we are ill.
    So, do you still get paid if you have the day off because your children are ill?

2. If you are a classroom teacher, fully employed by the school blah blah, do you get paid for the day if you have to take it off because your kids are ill?
    I was shocked when my colleague told me they don't, as I know that we all get paid if we are off for the day because we are ill.
    So, do you still get paid if you have the day off because your children are ill?

3. cheekychops

cheekychops New commenter

I think its up to the discretion of the head. Not the same i know but when my 85 year old father had a stroke last year my head was exceptionally good and let me have time off for hospital appointments etc he has a good understanding of the needs of families but i think he might be the exception

4. I think it is in red book conditions. We get three days paid leave for an academic year, then unpaid leave. Compassionate leave as in ill relatives decribed above is different and is at discretion of head. Illness of dependents is covered by law.

5. We get 5 paid days for being off with a sick child in any one year. Any days after that are taken unpaid. For us it's 5 days per year regardless of how many children you have.

6. There have been lots of threads about this on pay and conditions and some very heated discussions! It is up to the individual school/LEA policy to whether you are paid or not. Our school pays the first day of a child's illness and then anything after that is unpaid, although this is at the head's discretion as there are sometimes exceptional circumstances e.g. a child in hospital etc.

7. We get 5 days compassionate leave per academic year. x