1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you get on with your in-laws?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by bizent, Dec 7, 2011.

1. bizent

bizent Star commenter

I seem to recall a similar thread about meeting the mother in law and wondered if anyone actually DOES get on with their in-laws?
    My OHs mum is your typical matriarch and "speaks as she finds" so is usually quite rude and direct. I really like her and have a good laugh with her. She's generous and will always pick us up a little something when she's out and about (she lives away so we only see her once every few months).
    Previous MiL, however, need not reapply!!

2. bizent

bizent Star commenter

I seem to recall a similar thread about meeting the mother in law and wondered if anyone actually DOES get on with their in-laws?
    My OHs mum is your typical matriarch and "speaks as she finds" so is usually quite rude and direct. I really like her and have a good laugh with her. She's generous and will always pick us up a little something when she's out and about (she lives away so we only see her once every few months).
    Previous MiL, however, need not reapply!!

3. If anything I get on better with my mother in law than my own mum at times - they both say things that might annoy me but my mother can be a very difficult woman to be the daughter to at times!

4. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Extremely well. M-i-L needs a lot of pandering to, but she's lovely really. Doesn't listen, would be the only real gripe I have.
    F-i-L I get on very well with. We're actually very similar (isn't there a tendency for girls to 'marry their fathers'), although he's lot a more serious than I am.

5. Nanny Ogg

Nanny Ogg New commenter

Mine need to know the ins and outs of a cats ****. Gets very wearing.

6. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

My m-i-l was a wonderful person - very lively and extrovert, strong and self reliant. However she drove me berserk because of her controlling tendencies. I think I'd have loved her as a friend but as a m-i-l, she was hard work. I can't tell you how hard I try not to make the same mistakes with my lovely d-i-l but I strongly suspect she finds me difficult - it's such a tricky relationship. My husband always supported me and, in theory, I want my son to support his wife rather than put me first but .......

7. I don't not get on with them but I have very little in common with them especially MIL. They're nice people but conversation tends to dry up quite quickly though that is slightly better since having kids.

8. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I am very lucky with mine. F-i-l is very easy going. You couldn't not get on with him.
    Step-mum-in-law is also always very pleasant. My husband's Mum died many years ago. I would guess that she might be more protective of her boy. I would love to have met her though.

9. JTL

JTL Occasional commenter

My mil was a wonderful person and would do anything she could for her children and their families. She had 5 children and was widowed when the youngest was only 2 and never remarried. She was probably the least judgemental person I have ever known and I give her a lot of credit for producing my husband who is very similar. I know how lucky I am.

10. My mother in law was a lovely lady too. She was a very simple soul in the very best sense of the words. She asked nothing much of us. My husband phoned her every single day just to check that she was ok. She had loads of grandchildren and loved them all dearly, judged none of them. She was already in her 80s when I met her and lived until she was 91 but I felt honoured to nurse her in her last months. A truly lovely lady.

11. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

My mum-in-law is great - love her to bits. My father-in-law died 2 years ago yesterday and I still miss him.
    I'm very lucky.

12. bedingfield

bedingfield New commenter

Actual MIL is very hard to get on with. Very outspoken and tries to be in control whenever we visit. 20 years of marriage and she still thinks I'm the wrong person for her son!
    Step-MIL, however, is very different. She is always helpful, great with the kids and someone I can have a cuppa and a chat with. As far as I am concerned she is the one I class as my MIL.

13. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I met my MiL (her ladyship) for the first time in September. Mr Beel and I have been married a year and together 2 and a half years.
    She was perfectly pleasant (as one would expect) but I know Mr Belle has issues with her.
    Will be seeing her again before Christmas.

14. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

I get on extremely well with my mother-in-law and stepfather-in-law, they are lovely people
    It is my wife's mother-in-law that I can't stand

15. bizent

bizent Star commenter

Hmmm...maybe I should have delayed this thread...she called me OH's ex name last night!!!

16. trelassick

trelassick New commenter

In answer to original post YES. They're great.

17. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Lead commenter

Mine's fantatstic.

18. When we met, as far as family was concerned, the late Mrs Dog and I had in common that both of us had one parent, who had died when we were early teenagers; consequently, she did not have a father-in-law or I a mother-in-law. In addition, both sets of parents had married late, perhaps because of the War, so they were a ‘generation and a half’ older than us.
    My father-in-law was a tall, spare man with a long, lugubrious face; he reminded me of Gordon Rollins, although this overall impression was marred by his low-slung, pot belly. He was a very quiet man, who said little in social situations, covering his aloofness by busily ‘servicing’ his pipe. He actually had a tool-roll for this purpose, which he kept in his trouser pocket. He only became voluble when old motorcycles were under discussion, so he and I got on very well! He was a very capable ‘shed man’, who could make things with bits and pieces.
    My father-in-law seemed to have an ‘accommodation’ with an equally quiet, rather dumpy woman, who, he would explain, whenever my wife and I visited, had ‘just popped round’, although until her death, she always seemed to be there.
    My wife’s older sister is quite a different sort of character. When I first knew her, I gave her the benefit of the doubt, thinking her somewhat crass and insensitive to the feelings of others. Later on, I became quite sure that she knew very well what she was saying, and enjoyed delivering a ‘knife between the ribs’, only claiming social ineptitude when challenged.
    <font face="Times New Roman" size="3"> </font>

19. Albert if you ever wrote a novel I would buy it. I love the way you write. :&not;))

20. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Yes, Albert, you write beautifully. I wanted to read more! Have you thought of writing short stories and getting them published?