1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Do you get bored teaching?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Msz, May 13, 2011.

1. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Honestly?
    Never ...ever day is different after registration

2. The Red Heron

The Red Heron New commenter

hmmm...interesting

3. Yes
    I bore myself with some lessons- even if I haven't taught it before! I do try to make it interesting but let's face it some things are just boring.
    I teach mixed year groups so on a two year cycle- by the second time round I'm bored. Luckily I've been able to change year groups!
    I'm bored with planning- these days I really don't have to write down every detail to teach a good lesson or unit of work.
    I'm bored when I'm telling a child off for the umpteenth time!
    I'm bored with parents evenings. I'm bored with meetings. Same thing/issues just different personalities.
    I'm (usually) bored by the 'new' intitative.
    Don't get me wrong I give it my all, but hey ho!
    BUT I love my job. I used to say no two days are the same, now it's more like two weeks! I challenge myself and am extemely enthusiastic about several projects at the moment.

4. The Red Heron

Olivia:
    Yes
    I bore myself with some lessons- even if I haven't taught it before! I do try to make it interesting but let's face it some things are just boring.
    I teach mixed year groups so on a two year cycle- by the second time round I'm bored. Luckily I've been able to change year groups!
    I'm bored with planning- these days I really don't have to write down every detail to teach a good lesson or unit of work.
    I'm bored when I'm telling a child off for the umpteenth time!
    I'm bored with parents evenings. I'm bored with meetings. Same thing/issues just different personalities.
    I'm (usually) bored by the 'new' intitative.
    Don't get me wrong I give it my all, but hey ho!

Ha, you seriously could be me. Hate planning, always have done, always will do. Genuinely believe that after many years teaching writing weekly/lesson plans are a complete waste of time for most people. I openly admit to copying plans off the internet as I think it is absolutely ludicrous that all over the country thousands of teachers are writing seperate plans for the same unit of teaching. Thousands of man hours over the course of a year. Waste of time.
    And for what? the vast majority of kids will get a L4 whether you turned up or not to be perfectly honest.

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOL I like planning! It is the marking I hate with a passion and regularly file children's work...no I'll not tell you that part!

I do tell children sometimes that I am bored of telling them off repeatedly and will simply send them to the head if they carry on messing about.

But no have never stood still in a school./year group long enough to get bored. Wish I had, would have less work to do!

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Oh and administering year 6 SATs reading tests (don't care that they aren't really SATs or that to have SATs and tests in the same sentence is bad grammar!) is boring beyond belief! At least in writing they ask me for spellings (despite my instructions not to bother and just guess) and in maths to read the questions. A whole hour of twiddling my thimbs in the reading is mind numbing!

Oh and I have to work hard not to let my mind wander during the spelling test...

7. Not in my school- we're just glad when the kids turn up! I never underestimate or am bored by the impact a teacher can make. Mind you I was told a long time ago by a very experienced headteacher that it's your own ego which keeps the job interesting. I didn't agree at the time but now I'm not so sure.

8. The Red Heron

I only say about the L4 thing due to the incredibly low thresholds in SATS for it. I was genuinely worried one kid wouldnt get it in Maths this year, but he basically (from what I saw) got 18/40 15/40 and 13/20 MM and walked it (the ones he got were embarrasingly easy I have to say)

9. minnieminx
    marking has always bored me- I love looking at the children's work and talking to them about it but the detail of written comments required is just toooooooo tedious. On the plus when I talk to a child about their work it has far more impact- if only I had a smaller class/more time....

10. Red Heron- I'm in Wales, no SATS, woo hoo?
    No I think that we are up-levelling and failing our children for all the right (?) reasons. Anyway that's another issue and going away from your BORED question.

11. The Red Heron

I just get so confused by the whole levelling process...in primary school we spend so long marking, levelling, moderating, checking, fretting, justifying these sub levels, 'is x a 3C/3B' worry worry worry and then SATS bang straight 3/4/5-so on the piece of paper said children from earlier post scraped a dodgy 4 and then my amazing L5 mathematician has had an off day on Paper A and looks like he'll also get a 4 but yet the reasoning, knowledge, strategic thinking and understanding is a million miles apart.

12. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

Yes, there are definitely parts of the job I find deathly boring:
    Mind-numbing HT assemblies which go on and on and on...
    Staff meetings
    Parents Evenings
    The part of the job that's in the classroom is never boring, but I wouldn't agree with a previous poster and say that every day is different. Sometimes, teaching has to be routine and a little mundane. We can't be swinging from the chandeliers all the time.

13. Now THAT sounds BORING!

14. The Red Heron

I think it has to be similar because we only ever use the same approaches:
    For me that includes:
    IWB-modelling
    Mini whiteboards (which are the most valuable resource in my classroom)
    Paired work
    direct questionning
    Initial brainstorms
    So, in essence things are repetitive and therefore the samne within lessons

15. The Red Heron

Ha, oh I dont, believe me, as the hundreds of hours wasted on such total cr.ap wont make the slightest difference in the end

16. I am never bored teaching. I do, however, find marking VERY

17. Ooops posted that too early! I was saying I find marking VERY boring, especially if it involves levelling.
    I also loathe data. Even thinking about it gives me a headache!

18. The Red Heron

I hate marking too, think its a waste of time, have a system where either my TA or myself will always be giving ongoing feedback to a child with their work-so the need for long copious notes at the end is obselete.

19. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I don't teach the same lesson twice
    I don't teach the same topics twice
    I'm required to plan with enough detail for my own needs my head sees planning as a tool for me

20. The Red Heron

Think you got the wrong poster there :)