1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do You Get Anything Back For A Residential Trip?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Mrsidney1, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Mrsidney1

Mrsidney1 New commenter

Hello Guys,

I have been asked for the last few years to spend 5 days on a school residential trip and have contemplated asking for something back in return. This is because it is expected for me to go and the year I said I wouldn't I was asked to give reasons and eventually after being made to feel guilty - trip being cancelled, think of the children - I just found it easier to go.

I was wondering if there are any schools out there that who offer something back to full time teaching staff and if so, what is it?

I would like to state that I am looking for what schools offers, not if teachers should be offered anything.

Thanks!

2. Mrsidney1

Mrsidney1 New commenter

Sorry for the double post

3. abacus1982

abacus1982 Occasional commenter

1) Don't give anything back to anyone who does a residential
    2) Never expected anything back when I went on them as a teacher
    3) Still go on them now and don't expect anything back
    4) Wouldn't ask anyone to go if they didn't want to

4. nancymancey

nancymancey New commenter

We go on two residentials, The first is Mon - Wed and we don't get anything back. The second is Fri - Mon and we get a day back as we're away from home for the weekend

5. Dyathinkhesaurus

Dyathinkhesaurus New commenter

Make a decision and stand by it. If you decide not to go, you may feel guilty, but think how relieved you'll feel, too.

By succumbing to their emotional manipulation, you're
    denying your own needs. If you keep acquiescing, they'll keep pushing, which may fuel resentment on your part.

You could say that this year will be your last residential, so they'll have plenty time to find someone.

6. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

No, not at my school. Could someone else from your school go instead of you?

7. Josh7

Josh7 Occasional commenter

Currently not in my school..

I haven't been on a residential for a few years now and when I was going on them initially got nothing back. That changed following a staff meeting after which my very angry head hauled me into her office the following morning to reprimand me for my alleged unprofessionalism during the meeting. No idea what I said, probably a sarcastic comment about some poxy initiative, quite possibly the literacy hour in its infinite glory, but that isn't important. I retorted to her that I wasn't treated professionally and cited the unpaid hours put in during a residential. For the following few years I was always given the Monday off after our school week long residential.

I do think that the pressure to go on these trips is iniquitous. Although I have always enjoyed them, there were times when it put a great deal of strain upon my family. Are there many other jobs which would virtually require some of its staff (I don't recall any of our KS1 staff ever going on them) without financial or temporal compensation?

8. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

The only 'time off' I've had after a trip was when returning very late at night, all staff and students are told not to go in the next day.

It's about goodwill, I think. Teachers, in general, are happy to give up their time for these things (personal circumstances allowing) when they know their efforts - both in school and on trips - are appreciated and they are respected. The appreciation and respect have gone from many schools and understandably, teachers are more reluctant to give up their time.

jenhet likes this.
  9. slippeddisc

slippeddisc New commenter

Weds to Friday - no time given back. It's usually expected that those without kids just do it. I don't mind going at all but hate that it's always assumed that I'll just do it because I don't have kids.

10. bevdex

bevdex Star commenter

I have refused to go for the last two years. I appreciate that it's Wed to Fri but the hours are way over a "normal" working day. In any other sector, suitable adjustments, ie. extra time payments or time back, would be considered normal so why is this not recognised in education?

sparkleghirl likes this.
  11. auto_loop

auto_loop New commenter

I love residentials - they're my favourite week of the year--but I wouldn't do one without getting a day off in lieu.

You are on duty 24hrs a day (I've had to deal with all sorts of issues at all sorts of time). You also miss ppa so invariably are less prepared for the following week than you would normally be.

12. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

I love doing them but only if they finish on Friday and I and the kids go home as soon as we get back. Any school thinking they can shunt them into the holidays or weekends should find not a single staff member available to go.

13. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

I don't get anything at the moment, but I don't hugely mind. I really enjoy the Y6 residential as it's right near the end of the year and we all have a great time.