1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you feel that Britain’s academy experiment has failed?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Mrsmumbles, Sep 16, 2018.

?

Academies: on balance, are they any good?

1. Good

2. BAD

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

And this is why anyone worth their salt in teaching today equates Gove with pig faeces.

Alice K likes this.
  2. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

they privatised prisons first and that went so well thy went on to privatise everything else. Some LEAs were awful, some were very good. Nothing much seems to have changed there except the removal of cash to profit.

grumpydogwoman and Mrsmumbles like this.
  3. BigFrankEM

BigFrankEM Established commenter

"Britain's academy experiment...."

Definitely.

Since it never got off the ground.

For there has never been a British academy experiment; whether the adjective is used in its narrower or in its wider sense.

Because there is no British education system.

Now if you mean "England's academy experiment...."

Alice K and phlogiston like this.
  4. ABCCBA123321

ABCCBA123321 Occasional commenter

I selected the preschool my kids went to based on the fact the manager agreed with me on Gove.

Academies - utterly utterly abhorrent and they've destroyed education. Yet you have the eejit parent crowd around here who delight in informing you that "oh Johnny attends Local Primary Academy" like it's some kind of major achievement. It's a school which openly tells prospective parents looking around who ask about SEN provision for anything other than an academically fine child in a wheelchair or with a hearing aid that they can use for the shiny photos on the school website to go elsewhere as they're not wanted at their school (have this from numerous different sources so it's not just the local rumour mill).

MarieAnn18 and Mrsmumbles like this.
  5. Mrsmumbles

Pedant!

6. Mrsmumbles

Oh dear...apologies to Moderators...I have been censored! I think this development neatly wraps it up. Even mentioning stuff is potentially libellous. Really no point. So, in conclusion: 36 votes all saying the ENGLISH academy experiment was, overall, bad. I rest my censored and blacked out case. The following images are credited to Private Eye and the superb cartoonist Chris Riddell. I think that’s ok, isn’t it? To credit them? If you can’t see the pictures, erm...sorry!

CDC66BA4-134C-4AE7-82BE-884CE60CA7BF.jpeg
    Whilst being a ginger cat lover, I have to say...this fat cat looks an awful lot like: XXXXXXXX XXXXXX B17D2157-F592-45E6-8109-46F71CCF9FA5.jpeg

-Maximilian- and grumpydogwoman like this.
  7. BigFrankEM

Pedant: my dictionary says "Person concerned with minor detail..."

Whereas when it comes to ignorant it says "Not informed about or aware of a particular subject or fact."

Alice K likes this.
  8. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  9. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

upload_2018-9-18_19-36-10.jpeg

Mrsmumbles and -Maximilian- like this.
  10. GrammarBear

GrammarBear New commenter

As an academy employee my professional life has not been enhanced one bit. More importantly the children don't care as they can't tell the difference anyway.Zero benefit .Still our CEO and trustees all earn more than I will in 4 years. Every Child Matters my ****!!

11. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Star commenter

Run that one past me again.

How does a government offload it's responsibility by becoming responsible for the nationalised industry/utility etc?

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  12. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Star commenter

Whilst I think academisation has been a crock I am still a teacher and cannot help noticing that the question a loaded in the line of "how long has it been since you last beat your wife?"

13. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

I have always thought that individual schools that have to buy in staff /services to operate can never be as cost effective as buying in bulk. The MATs do not compare to the local authority in terms of bulk buying power and so the model is not the most effective use of educations public money. The model has never delivered the better salaries and conditions suggested except for those that do not teach and manage, the teachers lot has just got worse a bigger workload with worse pay compared to other OECD countries. If you put school in the hands of private companies they will find ways of lining their pockets by paying themselves excessive salaries, employing their mates/relatives and giving contracts for services to their mates/relatives. Likewise as seen in another thread we are only seeing the tip of the iceberg in terms of downright illegal misuse of public funds and seemingly nobody goes to prison. I have to wonder how long this nonsense has to go on for?

14. Mrsmumbles

It’s gratifying to see that my failure to say ‘England’ instead of ‘Britain’ is the main gist of what you have gleaned from this thread. They should make you Chief of Communications and Proofchecking at your academy. You could keep an eagle eye on greengrocers’ apostrophes.

15. Mrsmumbles

16. Mrsmumbles

Que?

17. Mrsmumbles

Well quite, couldn’t agree more. Bulk buying surely has to be more cost efficient. And in addition to this, so many academies try to farm the same staff out across different schools in the trust, over split sites. Talk about being spread thin. And underpaid. And hypocritically performance managed. Awful state of affairs. In our English academies.

18. BigFrankEM

"Aucune réponse"

19. David Getling

David Getling Lead commenter

Oh, my bad, though I hope everyone knows what I meant: selling off nationalised industries.

20. Mrsmumbles

Pretentious...toi?