1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you feel that Britain’s academy experiment has failed?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Mrsmumbles, Sep 16, 2018.

?

Academies: on balance, are they any good?

1. Good

2. BAD

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

I really cannot see any shining and resplendent examples of any consistently high-performing chains, with notably high results, undeniable rises in grades...is it just me? Did His Goveship Get It Wrong? Was it for this that the tax bill grew tall? So many disgraced academy brands and shocking scams come to mind.
    [This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]
    So please vote. I would really like to know if anyone thinks that their own academy trusts, or ones their kids attend or one in their county are Any ******* Good At All.

Because with names like ‘Invincible’, ‘Aspire’ and ‘Zenith’ or whatever after them, they really should be. Shouldn’t they?

tsarina likes this.
  2. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Lead commenter

Ther are mad. the whole thing is mad. You don't improve schools by spending shedloads of money paying people more than the equivalent person used to get paid, setting up masses of new structures and organisations, all of which cost the earth, and renaming schools. It's the worst of bad management gone mad, and typical of an incompetent government.

3. Mrsmumbles

Totally agree. I knew about their greed and incompetence, but the sheer amount of cash they’ve not spent and the sheer wealth
    [This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions] is sickening.
    [This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

tterb, patternandsurface and tsarina like this.
  4. tsarina

tsarina Occasional commenter

outwood grange? i know someone who works for them and she is absolutely passionate about how they help advance students opportunities by helping them achieve better grades by improving rubbish schools. Apparently they have a bit of a rep locally with teachers and parents but if they genuinely help students get better life opportunities by getting better grades then at least their heart is in the right place.

cac2008 and Mrsmumbles like this.
  5. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Whether you think it has failed or not depends on what you think its objectives were.

If it was meant to improve the quality of education, then it has failed - but I don't believe that was its sole or even main intention. T
    he intention may always have been to allow private enterprise to get their snouts into the public money trough. In that sense it has been a tremendous success.

6. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Those that have seemed to improve results seem to have done so by manipulating intake rather than improving teaching and learning. Those that have failed have been catastrophes.

7. AlwaysAdaptable

AlwaysAdaptable New commenter

I know of an academy that has selection test for year 7 intake. Sold off part of the playground and staff car par to a firm next door for it to turn it ino a car park for its staff. Privatisation right from under the public's noses.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  8. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Lead commenter

Looking at the website, it is glaringly obvious that this is all about money - nothing else, just money - profit.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  9. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

20 votes so far, 20 think bad. I have very little positive to say , so far , I'm sure there are good academies out there but did academising those schools make them better ?

10. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

Like nationalization, it's about the government offloading its responsibilities, and trying to save money. And we see exactly the same faults. Fat cat CEOs and customer service going down the tubes.

The bottom line is that to provide a decent service you must fund it properly, which isn't done in both nationalized industries and schools.

11. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

Last October, it was revealed that the Wakefield Academies Trust had transferred millions of pounds of its schools’ reserves to centralised accounts before admitting that new sponsors would need to be found for them. However, it was later found (this May) that this was not the case. (Suspicious I'd say). 11 of the 21 schools have now gone to new sponsors.
    This isn't what education should be about, ie money-making for others. The money should be spent on the schools themselves and the teachers.

Catgirl1964 and Mrsmumbles like this.
  12. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

Those who've been teaching a while will remember "grant maintained" schools from the 90s. That didn't go well and some schools ended up running out of money and making staff redundant. I'm surprised that it's taken so long for academies to get into trouble.

A social worker friend told us that, in a neighbouring county, children protection is being outsourced because the council can't afford to do it. But how can a small organisation do things more cheaply than a local authority, with its economies of scale, etc., unless they create less favourable conditions for staff?

13. Mrsmumbles

But this is the thing, isn’t it?
    Animal Farm made real. It is not exactly inspiring leadership. I hope some SLT academy employees look at this thread and ponder its implications. I only set this up last night and over 24 people have voted. Not a single person coming out hard in favour of academies being a viable and desirable replacement for the old system. Gove and his mat fat cats failed. Are he or they on capability? Are they fleck as like.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  14. Mrsmumbles

Well although you and I know their ulterior motives and real reason, I think we have to go by the purported lied reasons they, Morgan, Gove et al spouted repeatedly...to ‘raise standards’. HA HA HA. Big fat fail there, I’d say.

15. Mrsmumbles

Agreed: the extremes have widened and I cannot recall quite so many LEA maintained schools ever being quite so wasteful and corrupt. Plus they weren’t chained up so more a case of one off stuff ups. Tragically, many parents and even the kids don’t trust the inflated grades and massaged statistics of success spouted by the academies on results day. Cheating happens. Fact.

16. Mrsmumbles

No, I think most suck. The more information shared here of specific examples of wasted money, the better. Just keep it anonymous. But I think it’s pretty abysmal, all in all.

17. bessiesmith

bessiesmith Occasional commenter

The original academies idea was Labour's - the intention, we were told, was to dramatically improve failing, inner-city schools which had become 'untouchable' under LA control. Private sponsorship would be raised to provide extra funds. I was one of those who thought it might be an interesting experiment - I could see I wouldn't send a child of mine to a failing inner-city comp and any genuine attempt to improve these schools sounded like it was worth a shot.

It was Gove who oversaw the 2nd wave of academies and the 'opportunity' to create huge MATs with opaque financial situations and swathes of highly paid executives who had no contact with any children and whose jobs seemed to revolve around creating corporate brands, marketing and profiteering. No wonder, since Gove also made it clear there was no reason why the people managing schools should have an educational background.

18. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Yes.

Mrsmumbles and TCSC47 like this.
  19. TCSC47

TCSC47 Lead commenter

I don't think it was ever an experiment. It was a blatant move to make money for the unscrupulous.

20. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Lead commenter

I think that you are completely wrong on the government trying to save money point. It is ideology driven public bad, private good, combined with low risk money-making opportunities - a money tree in fact.