1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you feel like you are a Pensioner?

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by anon1269, Mar 31, 2012.

1. A few months ago I joined a U3A class called music appreciation. We sat round listened to a Bartok CD and then talked about it. It was interesting and I was asked to suggest a CD to bring in. I suggested Bryter Layter by Nick Drake. The whole group fell silent. Not only did they listen solely to classical but once someone brought a jazz record in and most of the members walked out! I didn't go back as I had nothing in common with, what I regarded, as old folks.
    Which brings me to my point. I definitely do NOT feel like a pensioner nor do I feel old. In fact, apart from a few aches and pains I feel pretty much the same and do pretty much the same things I have done since I was 16.
    I listen to loud music, go to football, subscribe to Viz, go to gigs, go to the gym etc etc.
    Do you feel old and do Pensioner stuff?

2. A few months ago I joined a U3A class called music appreciation. We sat round listened to a Bartok CD and then talked about it. It was interesting and I was asked to suggest a CD to bring in. I suggested Bryter Layter by Nick Drake. The whole group fell silent. Not only did they listen solely to classical but once someone brought a jazz record in and most of the members walked out! I didn't go back as I had nothing in common with, what I regarded, as old folks.
    Which brings me to my point. I definitely do NOT feel like a pensioner nor do I feel old. In fact, apart from a few aches and pains I feel pretty much the same and do pretty much the same things I have done since I was 16.
    I listen to loud music, go to football, subscribe to Viz, go to gigs, go to the gym etc etc.
    Do you feel old and do Pensioner stuff?

3. No, I certainly don't. And nor do the friends I meet up with. Some are much older than me but we still go out and about to a wide variety of things.

4. So what WE are doing is actually 'pensioner stuff!!!!
    WE are the NEW pensioners.....