1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you expect presents and do you think accepting them is ok?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by 08murtaghkc, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Some people think that teachers shouldn't accept gifts from children, especially when they're expensive... Furthermore do you expect presents; and what do you think of teachers expecting presents?...

Kane x

2. gergil4

gergil4 New commenter

Ditto - very embarrassed as I'm just doing my job.

3. I just heard about a school today that sent letters home to parents saying that they should not get presents for the teachers but if they wanted to contribute money (£5 being mentioned) then it would be gratefully received! Can you believe that?
    I do not know whether the story is completely true but if it is then I think it is appalling.
    I think a personal, genuine 'thank you' (whether in person or in writing) is as nice as any present.

4. violingirl

violingirl New commenter

I never expect a present but do graciously accept when given to me. The children who do give (not many really) are usually excited and pleased to be giving something so I would never reject a present.

5. I've been asked by a couple of kids today- 'what do you like / what do you want for your present.'
    I think some kids do just want to get you something (which I can appreciate, it's a nice feeling giving a gift) but what can you say? A nice bottle of red, thanks? [​IMG]
    (I said a hand made card or drawing would be lovely.)

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I wouldn't 'expect' as such, though would be surprised to get nothing at all.

Yes of course I accept, how would I not?

I take gifts to friends when they invite me for dinner/etc. I send cards to say thank you for all kinds of things. I honestly think it is good to encourage children to see small gift giving in thanks as good manners and something one just does.

Besides I like chocolate and wine and they are the usual presents!

7. I never expect presents. However I will accept them and thank the gift givers personally both by speaking to them and writing a thank you card.

8. Just to echo what others have said, really. I cannot imagine any teacher either a) expecting a present from a pupil, or b) rejecting a gift when given; the former is grasping and greedy, whilst the latter is ungrateful - almost certainly insulting.

9. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

I don't expect them, cause sometimes you do get them, sometimes you don't! However, when they do come, I do accept them as it's not school policy to say no, and I think if they've gone to all that effort, it's a bit rude to say "No thank you" so I always accept as graciously as I can. In return, I try to get everyone in the class a little present, even if it's just a piece of cake on the last day, as it makes me feel better!

10. I love getting presents from the children and parents. I especially like to receive homemade cakes, cards etc. The children are always so keen to give gifts and if it is something wrapped then I always invite the child to help unwrap it. All part of the fun! Another poster said that they are embarrassed because they are only doing their job. Although this is true to a certain extent I think that the parents and children want to give a little something to say 'thanks' for all the extras that so many teaching staff do/say/make etc. I must add that I do not EXPECT gifts. That would be rude.

11. I also ask my children to unwrap the gift they have given so that I can thank them straight away. Some children and parents put so much thought and effort into their gift or card that it would be incredibly rude to refuse it!

12. mprimaryz

mprimaryz New commenter

What's wrong with giving out a few hints for presents? We all bend over backwards to help kids and I think it's important that the parents acknowledge this. I'm guessing all the peeps who think it's expensive/waste of money are going to disagree with this but hey ho.

13. lardylady

lardylady Lead commenter

Yes, but we get paid for doing this! Why should parents acknowledge it? Do you give gifts to service providers?

14. mprimaryz

mprimaryz New commenter

Don't most people leave a tip in a bar/restaurant/coach drivers etc. Don't the staff get paid there? Same thing really.

15. mprimaryz

mprimaryz New commenter

hairdresser is another one!

16. lardylady

lardylady Lead commenter

I don't tip.

17. mprimaryz

mprimaryz New commenter

I'm glad you shared that with us.

18. lrw22

lrw22 Occasional commenter

It's nice to get a card or some flowers or chocolates. I was at the till at M and S the other day and noticed that they had a "Thank you teacher" version of the gift card out. I would be really embarassed to receive one of these.

19. Nice try, you had us going there. Thank you for the end of term joke. You won't get teachers agreeing with this, I would think. All professionals bend over backwards for their clients/customers/service users. To give your point far more consideration than it deserves, hinting for presents is twadry and unseemly. It is not important at all that we receive gifts for our work. A "thank you" and a letter or card are the best way to acknowledgeany effort over and above. Please don't demean teaching by suggesting that we receive tips - what a wind-up!

20. mprimaryz

mprimaryz New commenter

I really love it when people get really rattled by comments. I agree that getting a 'best teacher' what ever is embarrassing and I'd rather the children/parents didn't spend their money on that. However, If they are going to spend I'd much rather get a box of chocolates any day. Most parents realise how hard we work and if they want to buy a token gift then who are we to say otherwise.

A 'thank you' and a letter or card whilst are nice, don't taste as good. I did quite well for tips today!