1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you ever...

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Happyregardless, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Happyregardless

Happyregardless Occasional commenter

Do you ever go to a school and despite lovely staff, nice kids,having a generally good day, you leave thinking/muttering to yourself HOOOOOW have they ever been recorded as a 'Good' school? Maybe my standards/expectations are different or something but some Ofsted judgements seem right off the mark?

I mean sometimes they aren't because you go to a school that 'requires improvement' and you experience the behaviour and think "Yup, I agree!":rolleyes:

But sometimes it seems to be judged on just being a 'nice-seeming' school in a good area? or a church school, or all the sporting activities/wrap around care/extra-curricular stuff they do but with a detriment to the basic lesson work presented in books? It sometimes seems that if in a leafy, rural environment with a certain income-expectations/social status families ( you know what I mean) long as kids are given attention and everything's lovely they think the education is where it should be, despite any real academic rigour and the kids being lovely enough as individuals but ever so slightly indulged and kind of thinking they don't really have to try very hard at all because they already have everything? Having looked at books I thought 'Oh my goodness! I know not everything's from a presentation or work completed point of view but there should be a basic standard no?

I've been teaching for 20+ years and I always seem to see the same thing, visiting different schools: groups of society under different socio-economic/localised/trending/cultures/areas/environment-conditioned groups - there are quite clearly groups and types in particular areas? Maybe it's just in the East Midlands, where we have lots of different societal groups within short distances geographically but you can mention a school or a particular area and visualise the kind of parents/kids the kind of culture there? I'm not saying this in a derogatory way and still treat everyone as an individual: it's just interesting to observe and pretty predictable?

One other thing I noticed today was the continuing interruptions: even with the most focused kids,
    there just seems SO many 'do thisis' in the school day - the kids are kept FRANTICALLY busy to the extent they don't have the capacity to be mentally ( and some physically!) still and complete quality work )( they did for me today because I made them!)

I think having choice and a wealth of opportunities is wonderful, especially for not-so-academic pupils, but does anyone else long for a return to the class teacher being the focal point and authority, with time to complete set activities with the emphasis being on quality completion and the satisfaction of a good piece of work completed, rather than the focus being on whatever is happening at lunch/after school/in sports clubs/ or moving (rushing) onto the next frantically timetabled thing?

2. LostInBooks

LostInBooks New commenter

I always focus more on the quality of the work than anything else. I’ve had the same experiences as you especially with a day that has so many extra curricular things happening that a class of 30 at 9am quickly dwindles, with the lowest being around 12 pupils due to Christmas concert practice.

What I do is leave a note on the planning saying how much got done and if there was an interruption I say what it was. I’ve lost count of the times I’ve written “Assembly ran over so we didn’t start until X time” or “Eco club meeting at X time So pupil A and B started late.” As far as I know this hasn’t caused any complaints and most teachers I talk to feel the same.

It’s management and SLT that need to realise this but their hands are tied by local authorities who hand out the money.

3. Proyector

Proyector New commenter

Education is just bizarre. It’s only until you step in to another/ other industries that you realise just how crazy teaching is. The whole Ofsted process, the jumping through hoops, the full on day when you have no time to go to the toilet. I feel sorry for the teachers and the children. Some schools are considered ‘Good’ because other schools around it are truly awful and in comparison the school really is good. I don’t really know to be honest. I just know that even in a good school teaching is so draining and often soul destroying.

Happyregardless likes this.
  4. freshfriesan

freshfriesan Occasional commenter

Yeah, I've noticed the pattern. There's schools always getti g the Ofsted, thus always got revolving door staff so can't get out of the inspection thing. Go further out of the city and you'll see places that never get inspected. It's deliberate for sure. I wouldn't be surprised if money changes hands. Five years is an awfully long time once a school has a rebrand... Is it five years they're allowed. I jyst find it all shocking. I've just got to cut my sekf off completely.. Never e en think about it as thinking about it makes me ill also.

5. historygrump

historygrump Lead commenter Forum guide

I have been to schools were the kids are good and it is the teachers who are the problem, and put you off the school, and I do know of schools near me that are rated good and I wonder how they have managed it.

Happyregardless likes this.