1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you ever wonder how well-spent the nation's investment in media studies has been?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Nov 22, 2015.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I've just caught part of a Christmas advert where the soundtrack was reminiscent of Phil Spector's 1963 Christmas album. Just to remind you, that came out 52 years ago and music has changed a lot since then.

Why do you imagine that adverising companies still rely on the magic of Phil Spector's effort all those years ago?

Surely with all the money that's been poured into making our media students since 1963 become world leaders in their field, we might expect something more than the aspirations of a 1963 Christmas?

Might the money that money have been better spent on white water rafting in the hope that some of those losers might have drowned?

2. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

People like nostalgia and reminding of their life when they are younger. Somehow I think that a Dubstep version of Jingle Bells would not have the same effect on most (although I post a link.)

3. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

Although for dubstep aficionados, this is surprisingly Skrillexesque!

4. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

Yeh well if nobody took MS at my last school, the A-level pass rate would have been minus a million.

sabrinakat likes this.
  5. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Because it's the folk in their late 50's or 60's who have the cash they want spent on their product.

6. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

How come, Daisy? You could put me into your category, but when I was young, I rarely had two ha'pennies to rub together.

What do you think happened in the intervening years that made me rich and youngsters poor, not that I am rich.

7. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

Me and you, MM, we are rich by any criteria them young'uns woud apply and you know it. It's our pay-off for being old and creaky, and yet judiciously forward-thinking in our younger years!
    Nothing to spend it on really. How big a telly, how fancy a phone do YOU think you need? Which car?