1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you ever look at OFSTED reports of schools you apply to?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by jago123, Feb 14, 2016.

1. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

Just a thought, does anyone read OFSTED reports of schools they are thinking about / have applied to and has that made an impact on your decision whether or not to continue with your application?

2. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

You would be naïve not to! Particularly useful are the comments about particular subjects and the leadership. Whether or not you agree with Ofsted and even if the report is now out of date it still has an influence on how the school views itself and the targets set for development.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

But don't go mentioning it in your application or interview.

I see from your Ofsted Report that the school has poor results in key subjects; by appointing me you would improve these.

This would NOT go down well!

Best wishes

4. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Except when the school asks you, as part of the interview process, to identify how they could move on from a poor OFSTED report!

5. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

"Has strong leadership" seems to indicate that you could well be bullied out of your job within a year.

I've always read them but knowing that the view from the inside would be significantly different.

6. Landofla

Landofla Established commenter

I read everything: Ofsted, school policies, parent forums...

7. Meimeihan

Meimeihan New commenter

I definitely do. I am not great with behaviour management so I avoid school with bad rating in behaviour.

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Unlikely unless the post is for a SLT with responsibility for T&L. They are not going to ask a classroom teacher this, so don't start panicking folks!

Best wishes

9. CandysDog

CandysDog Established commenter

I've been asked this twice for main scale teaching posts.

The first wanted a written response (with the application) to how the school could improve KS3 English, which had been identified as a weakness in an otherwise decent Ofsted report

The second was a school that had a satisfactory Ofsted and wanted to know, via an interview question, how to improve, with a focus on English.

10. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Wow!

Putting the responsibility on a classroom teacher for this . . .

:(

Best wishes

11. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Sorry, mine was for a Deputy Head role-10 minutes on "How would you move us through Good to Outstanding?" Given the problems identified in the OFSTED, 10 minutes was pushing it! Thankfully I like a challenge!

12. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Wow!

Putting the responsibility on a classroom teacher for this . . .

Usually Leadership see it as the ownership of the Ofsted findings by the whole staff and many Heads now emphasise the "getting to good " bit for all teaching appointments