1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

do you ever feel....

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by strugglingHoD, Sep 3, 2019.

1. strugglingHoD

strugglingHoD New commenter

that no matter what you do, results will never improve to a level SLT are happy with?

the6thtraceybrother likes this.
  2. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

You sound pretty badly bruised.
    However I would always wish to celebrate good outcomes and try to learn from them: how can we apply these approaches to even greater effect. I'd also be a bit worried if successful departments or individuals sat back and didn't consider the possibility of further improvement.

3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I think there's the same problem with the "two stars and a wish" principle - don't you think that kids would appreciate, once in a while, getting a piece of work back with no "wish"?
    However I suspect that SLT are sometimes guilty of "half a star and six wishes"...

sbkrobson likes this.
  4. meggyd

meggyd Senior commenter

I once had an A level group of 2. They both got As in the days before A*. Both went to Oxbridge, one to study my subject with a scholarship. Imagine how I felt on being told that their value added was zero as their Gcse results were so good.

5. varcolac

varcolac Occasional commenter

I had a kid get A*s in both of my A-Level subjects. Didn't count for progress as he was a recent immigrant with no KS2 or KS4 data. It's a fool's errand chasing anything other than the best for your pupils. Someone will always have something to complain about - I assume it's why they get the fat paycheque and the corner office.

6. Cynic01

Cynic01 New commenter

Agree with varcolac on this one - after twenty years in the classroom can say always complaints from SLT no matter what - I believe it is in their training manual under ‘motivation’!

Jim440 likes this.
  7. strugglingHoD

strugglingHoD New commenter

I've just been in for "the chat" after the results. We through results would improve this year, but didn't.

our a-level results finished above national and similar centres on the AQA site, but still finished neg on the school's chart.

GCSE is bad, but how long does it take to fix a GCSE?

i've got kids who i've predicted from key stage 3 will achieve a 4 (borne out of data and work they did in KS3), yet the school predicts them a 7 based on KS2 data....it's almost setting them up for a fail.

what jobs can i do where i don't have to face this.... haven't slept for a week.

the6thtraceybrother likes this.
  8. Mr_G_ICT

Mr_G_ICT New commenter

we all go through tough times....hopefully it will turn a corner.