1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you ever allow calling out?

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by theedudicator, Feb 2, 2012.

1. musiclover1

musiclover1 New commenter

Some of my pupils got wind of this particular news! I was wondering why my year 10 kept calling out this morning and then they told me it meant that they were particularly advanced in their work and they'd heard that on the radio whilst driving to school.

2. musiclover1

I told them 'no, it just means that you're not letting other people have a go, and you're not even giving other people time to think', and they were quite put out and one of them decided to stop contributing and be very quiet since I valued his (shouted out) contributions so little.

3. It depends a lot on WHAT they're shouting out!

4. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

Whenever I use this technique it leads to silly behaviour - I think it's more trouble than it's worth.

I think teaching languages because they have to speak, does lead to them calling out more than they should. I don't have rules or signs but there are times with Year 9 in particular when I encourage calling out because otherwise they are not very forward at putting hands up and keeping quiet whilst others answer - and some feel safer answering in a group. But then I tell them to pipe down and we do something else.

5. musiclover1

I teach at a boys' school and when a ball comes out they get incredibly excited and put their hands up just to get the ball, without actually wanting to answer the question.
    So, if you have a 'hands up' policy and you're standing just next to someone and eveyone is working quietly - do you still insist on 'hands up'? And what if you're halfway across the room, but still quite close?

6. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

I use a hand grenade for this. Last year's results were 100% A*.

7. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

No I wouldn't - I'd feel silly doing that.

8. Very relevant thread. I feel it's an all or nothing issue. Like the OP, I don't have a formal policy on calling out with my Year 6s and sometimes I like the cacophony--when we're brainstorming for instance. It does seem like chaos and general silliness are not that far behind after the calling out starts. One thing that I've tried with Grade 9s that works is Socratic Seminar. It forces them to listen to each other and respond directly to comments instead of just crying out like voices in the wilderness.