1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you eat out of date food?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by mammal, Jan 14, 2011.

1. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Or not, as the case may be!

2. blazer

blazer Star commenter

The date is a guideline not a rule. My ham sandwiches on wednesday contained meat that was date expired on Monday. I'm still here.

Go by your nose, not the date.

3. And go by what you know of how you've handled the food.
    I wouldn't eat anything from a frozen packet from those shopping trolleys I see sitting beside a street cafe table for an hour or so in the sun.

4. No after affect from the fish pie, I am pleased to say. Now there is just out of date Muller Rice, which my OH bought by mistake for yoghurt. I had to throw the left over cheese from Christmas out today as the smell was polluting the whole fridge. I suppose I should have used it in some dish or other, but couldn't be bothered. I have been known to cut off the mouldy bits then use the rest.

5. The use by date is determined by the growth of spoliage organisms and the foods chemistry. The best before date is pretty pointless, it just means the food will not at its best. The green colour on the bacon is a common and it is these microorganisms that confer some of the taste and long life characteristics of the bacon. Most food that is out of date can be consumed, it will not kill you, although you may not like the taste. The pathogens "bad micoorganisms" if present will be there no matter the smell or texture of the food and it associated dates. The thing with food posioning organisms is that they cannot be detected by your senses. The rubbish in my brain, oh dear! Former FSA microbiologist and adviser before becoming a teacher!

6. Thought about this thread today when I got my lettuce out of the fridge for lunch. The bag said display until Wednesday, Use by Thursday! No specific dates, just days [​IMG]

7. Baked a cake last Thursday using eggs dated 24 December. Still here to tell the tale. My general rule is if it looks ok and smells ok then it's probably fine.