1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you eat out of date food?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by mammal, Jan 14, 2011.

1. I've just eaten a M and S fish pie which was one day out of date and I suppose I will know by tomorrow if it was a bad idea. I'm usual strict on sticking to dates on meat and fish, but not bothered with other things. What do others do?

2. Shifter

Shifter New commenter

Give it to the dog

3. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

I eat yoghurt, cheese and creme fraiche way out of date (a month +) so long as it looks and smells ok. Coleslaw gets binned on the date and I am pretty careful with fish. Ready made pasta like tortellini i eat about a week over but i dont have meaty ones, that might make a difference.

4. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Ha, ha! Do bears do their doings in the woods?
    All the time. Currently contemplating an egg which was 'best before' 20 December...
    If I don't post from tomorrow onwards, assume I carked it. [​IMG]

5. The only date that matters is the one that says use by (but I sometimes ignore that one, too).
    'Sell by', 'best before' or whatever are just advisory. It won't be as good as when it was freshest, but it won't poison.

6. It depends what it is, how it smells, whether it's fermented or starting to grow mould.
    If it looks, smells and tastes fine, I'll probably eat it.
    Common sense, eh?

7. I wouldn't attempt it with raw shellfish or offal but you have three days from the ass-covering date on the package in which it will be perfectly fine.
    These dates are a litigation-avoidance device that is responsible for the disgraceful level of food wastage in this country. The date is the last day the manufacturer will guarantee safety and quality i.e. can't sue me. But for the vast majority of products, you are absolutely fine to eat them, providing they've been properly stored and cooked, for another couple of days at least.

8. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Food roulette...
    I have a pack of Spoilt Pig back bacon (vacuum packed) that's 'use by' 04 January.
    Shall I????
    Would go nicely with the egg. [​IMG]

9. Not if it's got that irridescent greenish tinge to it...

10. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Bacon will be fine - when I worked in a foodhall in a major department store I had to wash mouldy stuff off out of date packet bacon and put it on the "fresh" counter.

To test an egg for freshness (or at least edibility) drop it (un-cracked) into a jug of cold water. If it sinks it's fine and if it floats it's off.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

It washes off... [​IMG]

12. anon468

anon468 New commenter

I shall test egg and report back...

13. I've never thought to wash it - anyway, I've not bought bacon in yeeears.

14. Wasn't there a very similar thread just a few days ago?
    Sniff it, if it smells ok - and you'll know if it doesn't - eat it.

15. I had some fishcakes once that were on their use by date. I was so violently ill that night that I would never even chance eating them a day after it!
    On the other hand, we eat bacon weeks 'out of date' without realising and it has always been fine! [​IMG]

16. anon468

anon468 New commenter

I'm 'aving that pinkflipflop. The bacon shall be mine!
    (still not tested the egg yet)

17. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I learned how to test eggs from freshness when I was about 17. My then boyfriend (became 1st husband) told me to check by dropping the egg into cold water...he didn't think to tell me not to break it first though so I couldn't eat the egg anyway.

18. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Egg sank to the bottom of the jug, but it's sitting vertically, not horizontally on the bottom.
    And I've just looked at the bacon and the very middle rasher is definitely not looking good.
    Bugger.

19. I think it's salt water you have to test it in. But whatever, if it sinks it's fine.
    A stale egg loses water by evaporation through the shell and replaces it with air, which makes it float.

20. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Lil, I think it would sink regardless - it's a bloody whopper (from the local farm). All the others in the box have been double yolkers!
    Husband would have a hairy fit if he so much as suspected I was going to eat anything out of date. He's pathological.