1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you eat offal?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Nov 17, 2018.

?

Do you eat offal?

1. Yes

24 vote(s)
    63.2%
  2. No

13 vote(s)
    34.2%
  3. Erm..

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  4. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Another food one ... and again triggered by my daughter...

She thinks offal is yuck.

We pointed out liver ... then steak and kidney pie... pate... but as she doesn't like these things it's still yuck.

So do you like organ meat?

2. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

No way. As a child, my mom would give us liver once a week and I used to dread it. My brother would eat anything, but my sister and I would make sure that our cat was under the table and we'd slip him bits when mom wasn't looking.

3. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Love Liver and things like Pate. Love tongue. Not so keen on kidney. Never tried heart.

When I was a kid my parents would buy lots of offal. They liked heart and one of Dad's favourites was brains on toast! I had a Saturday job in a butchers in the 70's They sold lots of offal. Hearts, brains, liver, kidneys plus sheep's head, tongue, cheek, pigs ears, trotters and sweetbreads. I recall one Christmas. Loads of customers had been paying into their Christmas club for ages and the week before the day a truck delivered about 200 fresh turkeys. They had been plucked but that was all. So we went in on a Sunday (Closed on Sundays back then) set up the blocks in a line and the two butchers and me dressed them all. My job at the end of the line was to take the innards and sort through them. Into a greaseproof bag I would then put the liver, heart and the neck after I had skinned it. Then I would have to find the crop, slit it open and remove the lining with all the grit and recently eaten food in it. Wipe it clean and put that in the bag as well. Close the bag and stick it inside one of the birds. Happy days:oops:

Duke of York and colpee like this.
  4. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I didn't like the cooked to grey with tubes in liver that we were served when I was a child. I enjoy liver pate or parfait though. I haven't tried sweet breads often but I have liked them when I did. I still don't like kidneys.

5. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Liver - yes but cooked pink, not turned into grey rubber

Stuffed heart - I think I did once but not any more.

Kidney - yes - as small flavour addition not rubbery pub style steak n kidney. Kidney on toast for breakfast used to be a breakfast option in a previous career - the appearance had it known locally as ‘sh|t on a raft’

Tongue - yes, cooked, pressed and cold is delicious

Shedman and Duke of York like this.
  6. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

Memories of dad cooking pork chops with the kidney attached. Pork chop- yes, kidney- happy cat.

colpee likes this.
  7. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Yes.

Love haggis.

8. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

Boak

lanokia and colpee like this.
  9. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Liver, heart, kidneys, sweetbreads, tongue- yes
    haggis-definitely
    pate-almost addicted!
    tripe and udder-no way!

10. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Offal used to be the cheap meat because the rich people only ate the best cuts from the animal - nobody wanted the innards. But when it was realised that offal is actually really healthy and loaded with minerals and vitamins and essential amino acids, it became trendy again and got expensive. Not sure what the situation is currently.

11. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

My family owned a butcher's shop and I can very much relate to
    @blazer's childhood experiences with turkeys. We dined on the finest meats, but also ate a fair amount of offal too, because my parents liked it.
    I agree that liver is best when cooked pink, but the same applies to kidney. Steak and kidney is one of my favourites. People frequently make the mistake of giving the kidney the same amount of cooking time as the steak, as it will often be mixed together. The kidney needs to be added towards the end of the cooking.

We regularly had stuffed heart, which I quite liked as a kid, but have gone off now. I've only eaten brains on one occasion, as a starter in a restaurant near Carcassonne and found it delicious.

lanokia and colpee like this.
  12. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I was only reminded the other day about my weekly black pudding fry ups when I was a student.

Tripe has so far escaped me but I've probably eaten the rest in some form or other, especially in France.

I've even tried tanning fish skins with deer brains but I didn't eat either of them because I washed my hands before tucking into my butties :)

colpee likes this.
  13. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

Cooking offal such as liver or kidneys requires a bit of thought to make them palatable, but it can be done. Lamb's liver and kidneys are definitely much nicer than the pigs equivalent, especially the liver.

I remember eating tripe and onion as a lad but not liking it very much. I wasn't the only one,one of the comments about the food on board RN ships during WW2 was that is was OK but boring and most things were eaten but tripe was the one thing that went "straight from the servery to the gash".

14. Duke of York

I have cooked it for our dogs, who seemed to love it, but the smell makes it impossible for me to ever contemplate trying.

colpee likes this.
  15. Duke of York

My sweetheart tends to buy lambs liver and kidneys, but I prefer those from pigs. Without a doubt, calves liver is by far the best. Morrisons is the only supermarket I've found that sells it, but unfortunately it's not often available.

16. Photo51

Photo51 Established commenter

Kidneys fab esp in red wine. Super cheap
    Liver great esp calves.
    Heart tough.
    Brain OK but looks weird whole on the plate.
    Testicles OK but way too big.
    Thymus, pancreas nothing special.

17. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Love it. We ate it often as children because we were not well-off and it was cheap and savoury. I still cook it.
    I'm in Bury atm and have a bag of delicious black pudding!

needabreak likes this.
  18. Flanks

Flanks Senior commenter

Chicken liver and onions was one of my favourite meals growing up.

19. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

My wife and I are vegetarians.

20. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I've never eaten brains or testicles but I'll eat most things. I think if you kill an animal to eat you should use everything.