1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you drink enough?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by tartetatin, May 11, 2012.

1. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

I don't mean alcohol [​IMG] but water, fruit squash etc.
    I can get away with drinking very, very little. I'm like a human camel [​IMG]. That's not a boast, as I realise how bad this is for my health. I'm just not in the habit of drinking lots/enough, if that makes sense. I am determined to change this!
    Also what are your thoughts on aspartame? Would you rather drink full sugar? I was shocked at my slimming club last night by how much diet coke people are drinking daily. Can't be good for your health or wallet.
    What do you like to drink and are you drinking enough?

2. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

I don't mean alcohol [​IMG] but water, fruit squash etc.
    I can get away with drinking very, very little. I'm like a human camel [​IMG]. That's not a boast, as I realise how bad this is for my health. I'm just not in the habit of drinking lots/enough, if that makes sense. I am determined to change this!
    Also what are your thoughts on aspartame? Would you rather drink full sugar? I was shocked at my slimming club last night by how much diet coke people are drinking daily. Can't be good for your health or wallet.
    What do you like to drink and are you drinking enough?

3. No, I don't. I often think this and suffer from headaches. I can go all day with just one drink then the next day I'll be parched. I also live on tea at work which can't be good. I hate plain water and prefer to have at least a little squash in it.

4. I drink 3 litres of mineral water a day.
    I would not touch aspartame with a barge pole.

5. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

I never let my kids have drinks sweetened with aspartame. Someone told me it was banned in the US. I never checked this out TBH but it just put me off. I was also told it was a diuretic so if you have a bedwetter try cutting it out of their diet. It worked for mine.
    I don't drink any alcohol. I joke about having a drink but I don't actually like alcohol. I mostly drink water but have one mug of tea or coffee most days.

6. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

What's wrong with tea?

7. I'm not sure exactly how much water I drink each day. Probably about a litre, which is probably not enough.
    Two cups of coffee a day on work days (need a wake up call in the afternoon!). One cup a day at weekends. Sometimes I have tea instead.
    Don't drink 'pop' - diet, or otherwise. If I'm thirsty, I drink tap water.
    I also like beer and wine, but the less said about that the better! [​IMG]

8. Hahaha, why do you think I drink 3 litres of water? My kidneys would be knackered otherwise!
    Joking aside - I do drink alcohol, but after being so ill and my doctor pleading with me, I now dutifully drink my 3 litres of water a day - straight from the bottle.
    I also drink tea. Very rarely coffee.
    WHEN I buy my kids a fizzy drink, and that is not often (a weekend treat), then full sugar and dosed.
    I never drink fizzy drinks. I don't like sweet tastes.

9. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

I could have written this Disguise, but minus the headaches part. I do however suffer from low moods sometimes and it will be interesting to see if my resolution to drink more (fluids, not alcohol!) helps with this.
    I too struggle to drink plain water and much prefer watery squash. If I drink plain water then it needs to be at room temperature rather than straight from the tap. [​IMG]
    Thanks for your replies everyone. I'm genuinely interested in this as a topic [​IMG]

10. I really need to drink more water (bloody kidney stones [​IMG]), but I get really irritated by constantly needing to bob to the loo.
    Especially at work, where the office is so compact & bijou, everyone can hear you tinkle...
    [​IMG]

11. If you are trying to lose weight, you really should drink a lot of water.
    For two reasons:
    1) Often we confuse hunger with thirst. A drink of water will actually be what you need, and you will then not snack.
    2) Water is pure and flushes the toxins out of your body, once these are gone, your body gets backs to rights and regulates your insulin levels as it should, which means your burning of fat works as it should do too.

12. Yes, but... (see above)

13. early in my career I drank very little in the day, as there weren't enough toilets at work. So I never had time to go. The kidney failure I suffered, (which meant three months off work and recurrent physical effects which still affect me), was related to this. Drink enough, people, drink enough.

14. Apparently too much tea isn't that great for you. I find drinking quite boring as well - I know how ridiculous that sounds!

15. Sing loudly!!
    Or turn the tap on.
    Or put some loo roll in the loo first, and then do that thing only women can do - you know, where you squeeze your legs together and move to the left or to the right and it comes out more slowly?
    What works for sex works for having a wee
    [​IMG]

16. All that stuff about needing to drink water rather than tea or juice (as peddled by Brain Gym) is nonsense. The water doesn't evaporate just because you add some squash or a tea bag!

17. Oh my! Reality check. Time to overcome the embarrassment...
    Really sorry to hear that, flutter. Actually, really shocked to hear that, too. How awful. :-(

18. I drink gallons of tea so I'm probably getting enough fluid.
    I dont like sweetners - pretend sugars.

19. No, but the point is, that water is ....just water, and what your body needs.
    Squash and tea are add-ons, often combined with sugar. That means your body has to work to deal with the sugar, unless you are very active and use up a lot of energy, which you do not do in a normal classroom environment (or most working environments).
    The advice to stick to water is not wrong.
    Your teeth are happier too.

20. Oh good grief, no! They already think I'm off my cake as it is.
    But I am going to make a much bigger effort. I have no excuses - we have one of those nice filter chill machine things.