1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you do year end targets / forecasts for pupils?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by mystery10, Nov 10, 2015.

1. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Does your school have a system where you have to give a year end forecast for a child e.g. below expectations for that year, at expectations, exceeding expectations for maths, English etc? Do you have any children where you give forecasts which relate to the year above or the year below? If so, what kind of proportion? Is this "exceptional" or is it approx 5, 10, 15, 20% etc who are at the top and the bottom end of the spectrum and have forecasts from years above or years below?

2. gerdmuller

gerdmuller New commenter

We used to, with levels, but it was used for picking up intervention groups and seeing how progress was doing against KS1 results so that SLT had the bigger picture of how the children were doing. We have a lot of kids who move away, so any future projections were pure conjecture in the years before they left.

Our local authority seem to be collecting elements of good practice together at the moment and simply presenting them to schools as options which work in different types of schools. The general thing, however, seems to be wait and see what happens with the tests this year and then people know the game they're playing.

3. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Yes, I have had to give a "prediction" for each child as to where I expect them to finish the year. This is quite normal ( as I teach year 6) and in previous years I could predict to within a couple of percentage points how many and which children would achieve which levels. This year however I have stuck a finger up in the air, seen which way the wind is blowing and guessed!

4. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Thanks Carrie and Gerd.

Taking maths as an example, a lot of schools seem to have grids which show all the different things they expecting for an emerging, expected, exceeding - they are year by year and have been put together somehow from the yearly programmes in the national curriculum document.

Couldn't this kind of thing be used during the year both to inform "continuous assessment" and planning at an individual and class level? Does one have to wait for the first lot of year 6 tests to do this?

5. teacup71

teacup71 Occasional commenter

You are right and we are doing this. We are working on depth of understanding and tracking is entering, developing and secure. We are not pushing to exceeding because this was one of the reasons why levels were removed. We work on mastery of the curriculum and able work on mastery in depth.
    We said that if we had any gifted children we would discuss arrangements at staff meeting so everyone would agree. I think if we are doing mastery and mastery in depth there really won't be many working on the above year group.
    We had 35% level 6 last year in maths and this mastery in depth would have certainly given them a challenge.