1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you do guided reading in Reception?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by upsadaisy, Jan 28, 2012.

1. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

Just as the post says.

2. Yes we do. We have 4 groups and do a guided reading session once per week. With our less able we don't always use a book but use a poster, picture and get the children to talk about what they can see, what they think is happening etc in the picture.
    The more able who are now beginning to decode, are reading a book taken from out guided reading books.
    Louise

3. hurny

hurny New commenter

I do guided reading twice a week. I have just finished teaching phase 3 phonics so have started using phonics books (Floppy's Phonics and Phonics Bugs). I try to make it more varied than just reading books, so have made recipes for them to read when making sandwiches, Chinese noodle soup etc. and 'how to make' instructions, we also go on word/sentence hunts around the school.

4. Yeah I do guided reading as a workshop one afternoon a week - while I listen to one group read I have another group doing a focused activity and the rest of the class have free-flow activities. So a group will read with me, then move on to doing an activity based on the book they read. I tend to only do 10 minutes with each group, with about 5 mins of that actual reading, if its a longer book then I will stop them and I'll read the rest of it too them as I think the discussion is more important to fit in.
    My LA i tend to do a blending or phonics game as they are the group that need extra support in phonics and I don't have support staff that can provide it for them.

5. We do, but when I was on a reading course a couple of weeks ago, they said not to as it's pretty pointless and you were better off using the time to read with children on a 1:1 basis until after Christmas in Y1. They said sharing a book with a group from the point of view of developing skills such as discussion, page turning, using pictures etc was still a valuable exercise but not as a decoding one. Must say, it made me think and think I'm going to change the way we do this...

6. Hi
    When the children start school we do guided 'reading' with books with no words until children can decode and then they move onto individual readers (decodeable books) once per week. This helps them to enjoy books in a group, discuss storylines etc and still some phonic input regarding title etc. Then somewhere between Christmas and February half-term we introduce guided reading books with words once a week too. We find it is easier to put them into workable groups by then. No advice from anybody but we find this works well for our chldren

7. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

I used to do guided reading once a week when I was in Year 1, and found it very valuable. But I prefer to stick to reading 1 to 1 with children in Reception.

8. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

We start GR once there is a sensible sized group of chilldren decoding. I had one group only before Xmas, and now there are 3 groups. GR for each group once a week while the rest of the class have stories. We also do shared texts on the WB with the whole class.

9. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I prefer 1 to 1 and shared reading in reception

10. hurny

hurny New commenter

Hi Leapyearbaby. Just wondered what sort of shared texts do you read on the WB and are they linked to your guided reading sessions?

11. If I can sugges,t try with the LA to make them TALK about the story. I feel that comprehension is far more important than words decoding or recognition. I often use wordless books just to make them understand that illustrations help with the story comprehension and to develop their oracy, so that they might become interested in choosing a book also by themselves. Let us not forget that many European countries start word decoding a lot later, after they are 6, but do put a lot of emphasis on comprehension and role-play for a reason. And by the age of 9 they are better readers than in Britain... Therefore in my opinion we need to develop a progression of skills, where oracy is the first one and not just to describe what happens, but to imagine what could happen.