1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you do accents when you sing along to something?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Flere-Imsaho, Jul 20, 2016.

1. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Another poster mentioned They Might Be Giants so I've been listening to them all afternoon and singing along to bits in a weird hybrid of my own voice and their NewYork American accents. I do a mean impression of Morrissey and Billy Bragg too because the songs just don't work without the accents.

Do any of you do this?

ValentinoRossi likes this.
  2. delnon

delnon Lead commenter

3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Yes... and when I teach Of Mice and Men I do an American accent to classes...

Dragonlady30 and ValentinoRossi like this.
  4. ValentinoRossi

ValentinoRossi Star commenter

All the time! From Ilkley Moor bah t'at to Elvis. I've even mastered the lip curl :)

Dragonlady30 and Flere-Imsaho like this.
  5. Flere-Imsaho

I think you should share some examples!
    ;)

6. vannie

vannie Star commenter

I'm almost ashamed to admit that I always try out my Scottish accent when The Proclaimers are on. My Dad is a proud Scot and it has him in stitches. Billy Bragg also has to be sung with the accent. My faux German Dagmar Krause is horrible though.

7. ValentinoRossi

ValentinoRossi Star commenter

Me too! And I have been known to have the Kate Bush track playing while teaching 'Wuthering Heights'. (Pupils not all that keen when I sing along to it! )

lanokia and vannie like this.
  8. Flere-Imsaho

The Proclaimers have a very specific Scots accents. That "Bathgate no mo-aar" is not normal for me - but obviously I do it when I sing along.

lindenlea likes this.
  9. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

It depends what I'm singing along to. If it's Rameau or Lully then I use my bestest French-teacher-mother-approved accent but if it's pop then I use my own voice except when it's The Proclaimers because it has to be Scottish to work (apologies to any Scots who may have overheard that!)

Edit: just seen Flere's post. Glad I'm not alone :D

Flere-Imsaho likes this.
  10. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Abba. Always.

11. vannie

vannie Star commenter

My Great Grandad had a butchers shop in Leith. I was however brought up in Derbyshire. My Scots is pitiful.

12. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

@vannie - I lived in Leith up until recently. :)

vannie likes this.
  13. vannie

vannie Star commenter

Family is in Portobello now. But I was christened in Leith. I do love auld reekie still.

coffeekid likes this.
  14. Flere-Imsaho

I lived in Portobello for a while. It's a small world!

coffeekid and vannie like this.
  15. cassandramark2

cassandramark2 Established commenter

It's hard to avoid a German accent when singing along to Rammstein.

16. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

I totally thought this was going to be a thread bout that ex-Apprentice (USA) star singing that incredibly racist song, complete with exaggerated stereotyped Asian accent that's been going round youtube.
    Google Jennifer Murphy Beds and watch the 'pink carpet' launch video of her song "I want to be neenja" (I wish I was joking) if you think you can handle the cringeworthiness (you won't be able to, I promise).

17. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

I rarely sing along to anything because I have a property with very thin walls and music-lovers on either side.

I do sometimes slip into traditional yokel when I listen to certain folk songs but music-lovers are usually warned by the regulation introductory chords which are designed to allow them to plug their ears or run away

18. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

Not only do I do dodgy accents when I sing opera in the bath, but I wobble in all the right places too!

19. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I love Portobello. When I lived in Musselburgh I had town envy every time I passed through on the bus. Going to a wedding reception there on Saturday.

20. loodle1

loodle1 Occasional commenter

Haha I always do the Proclaimers. Also today I was singing along to Pulp on the radio and caught myself doing the Sheffield accent!