1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you buy your own rewards for good work/behaviour?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by magic surf bus, Jun 14, 2012.

1. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I frequently reward myself with sweets/chocolate for good work/behaviour but I imagine you're asking about the students aren't you? Probably best to find out if sweets are actually allowed in the school - some won't have them in the canteen.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I've bought sets of stamps from W H Smith but I'm sure other places do them.
    Would steer clear of sweets etc because of allergies and 'healthy schools'!

3. VelvetChalk

VelvetChalk New commenter

I buy 500 star stickers at Wilkinsons for 50p a pack as they are shiny and children like collecting as many as they can.
    I also have a bag of little prizes for my good behaviour raffle and this is made up of lots of little things such as pencils and bigger stickers (bought from poundland etc in multipacks)

4. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I firmly believe that all teachers should stop subsidising the system by buying resources and treats for the children.
    My father was a teacher/headteacher from 1945 to 1982 and never bought star stickers etc, which were standard rewards, as they were part of school stocks. If schools couls afford them just after the war, I'm sure they can manage the cost these days too!
    I went to school from 1958 until 1972. We were rewarded with star stickers for good work or good effort when in primary school. Teachers only treated us with modest amounts of sweets at the end of a aschool year and sometimes before breaking up for Christmas. Most of them received enough back in presents from pupils to easily cover the expense.
    In these days of supply teachers getting insufficient work and being paid below scale for it by agencies, I'm bemused about why they'd even be thinking of using their own money to treat children.
    Another issue is that children today are not exactly deficient in supplies of sweets and snack foods and they are often treated on a daily or weekly basis by parents. Many of my friends at school were in the same relatively poor position as me (coming from a very large family living on one adult wage) and we tended to have access to sweets one day per week as a treat.
    There's also the issue that pupils who are used to getting a prize for reasonable work develop warped ideas. Their motivation is not improving themselves through their work but getting the chocolate bar or sweet. It's not unknown for such pupils to refuse to take part in activities when they realise there is no prize.

5. Yes I am also guilty of buying my own stuff. I did it in my permanent job when I needed to and I do it for supply although my last 6 months were self employed so all receipts were put in with my tax return!! I find the pound shops great too for multi packs rubbers and pencils for my bribe bag. I've never bought sweets on supply but did give them out at home time as a Xmas treat when I had my own class. I use PTS for stickers and stampers etc for older kids and get subject specific or target met/good behavior type ones but have found KS1 are happy enough with cheap stars or spots especially if they have charts. I have been lucky that teachers have left me access to their stickers and stamps if the children are used to them and expect them.

6. VelvetChalk

VelvetChalk New commenter

When I remember my prize raffle (not often) the prize costs me less than 10p a day. I earn 140 quid a week at least so its no great expense. I never buy sweets though.

I also think we live in an age where many children are given less praise and less encouragement to go to school at home. If winning a pencil sharpener and star stickers help their enjoyment if school and their learning a tiny bit....I am all for it.

A Child's social world and their school life is very different to yesteryear.

7. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

So why is the school not providing these important rewards?

8. Pennyforyourthoughts

Pennyforyourthoughts Occasional commenter

Secondary and never without the Goodie Bag. All else failing.............then introduce a quick fire competition with Goodies as rewards... works for me every time. no matter what subject I am taking.... Usually really great smilie stickers, then unusual goodies, recently feet rubbers, pen toppers, badges, bag tags, as well as pencils, pens etc. The more unusual the better. Cost to me per term probably £10 you can get giant party bag gifts 40 items for £5 or so. After all whats a tenner when it makes your life easier in the classroom.

9. I have to admit, the thought of giving rewards was to make my life easier in terms of encouraging good behaviour!
    I agree, we shouldn't have to subsidise out of our own money, but life isn't perfect and we all do things that are outside our remit of teachers in terms of care and attention to the pupils.
    My son had a supply teacher for a week when he was in year 3 and he loved him because he gave little prizes for good behaviour or hard work.
    It's not the prime motivation, ie I would expect good behaviour and hard work and I wouldn't give a prize every day, or to every child. It would be a random draw for pupils who'd put in effort or behaved well.
    I think it's good to be recognised when you're doing well.