1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you and your OH argue over pets?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon4561, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Just had (yet another) arguement with OH over our pets... one wee dog and one wee kitten, who are completely obsessed with one another, and who want to run riot and play/fight while he wants to (quietly) watch TV of an evening.

I find the sight of them playing very endearing, and actually more engaging than most of the carp that is on TV

I think, that given that he has three adult 'children', who must have howled and cried and been attention seeking for several years, that surely a wee dog and a kitten, can't be that bad?

OH then also gets annoyed that I'm not really watching TV with him, and seem more interested in what the pets are doing (which TBH ...half the time I am!) and is suggesting that we lock the pets away of an evening....

To me, they're part of our 'family"

Not looking for anyone to take sides, or offer advice... just curious to know if any other couples have disagreements over pets?

2. caress

caress New commenter

We got pet rats, my boyfriend & I, two boys & a girl, kept separate by sex. The girl was lonely so we got her a friend, but there were two in the pet shop & I couldn't bear to split them up. Then we had five. Then the two new girls broke out of their (locked) cage and into the boys cage. Three weeks later we had 31 rats. Twelve were adopted and we kept the rest. There have been a few disagreements over the years but not many & shortlived. Having said that, although they are expensive and mischievous, I couldn't imagine life without them. :D

3. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

Yes, my wife wants a pet. I don't. [​IMG]

4. Goodness me yes! When we got our first dog, we constantly argued. We had been together only 18 months and suddenly had to make decisions about the dog together. We always had different ideas about what we should be doing. However, my husband now thinks that this experience is making parenting our son much easier because I have learnt that he 'is always right'. I let him think this is true.

5. Thanks for your replies... which have made me smile, on an otherwise awful night! [​IMG] x

6. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

Oh dear! You know he will need a potty and not newspapers on the kitchen floor?

7. We have two very badly behaved cats, but they are definitely our child substitutes (with the added bonus that you can leave them with food and water and go to the pub at night and no one calls social services...) and we love them to bits. Husband is now very happy that he gave in to my very clear specifications on which cats to get.
    I keep hoping that his positive experiences with cats with mean he eventually gives in and lets me get a dog. No luck yet.

8. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

We had a dog and we did argue over it. It did not end happily. Never ever again.

9. We used to argue over the cat...I tended to win because the cat was actually mine. However...he was 'ours' until he did something my ex bf didn't like/needed feeding/litter tray needed cleaning/vets appointments/food buying/insurance payments...then he was very much my cat.

10. Seadream

Seadream New commenter

Yes! Mr S and I chose two cats together 8 years ago and we both adored them. Since having children, Mr S sees them as an inconvenience, says they're mine and wants to get rid of them. I find his attitude slightly disturbing as I feel that far too many people sideline their pets when they have children and think it's ok to 'get rid of them' when they can't be bothered any more. I often ask him if he'll feel that way about the children if they irritate and start to cost him more. I do think that he secretly still loves them though and they know I love them more - I'm still Mum, but he gets a bottom in his face.

11. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

Hi Annie
    we normally argue about who will clean out the guinea pigs. my OH is as besotted about our ginnies as I am, so I think I am lucky. I don't think scabs and kitten should be locked away-as you say, they are part of the family. Our ginnies do have a hutch in the garden, but spend most of their time in a penthouse box in the lounge so we can see them. My friends think I am rather eccentric!!
    Sorry to hear about your rotten eveningxx

12. My parents are always arguing about our two cats, my dad hates them and think they're food stinks the whole house out (it doesn't), whereas my mum is totally besotted with them, letting them get on the furniture and cuddle up to her.
    The arguments are generally resolved when my mum says "If they have to move out, so do you".

13. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

My OH inherited my cat when he moved in and despite being afraid of cats soon fell in love. However when that cat died he point blank refused to get another one. We have since had guinees and a rabbit as i refused to let our kids grow up without pets and my dad made the cage. However we have argued for another cat for the last 4 years with the kids also begging him. Extended family also chimed in. Last summer he finally gave in and we adopted a lovely rescue cat. She must have known that OH wasnt as kean as she jumped out of her cage into his arms and curled up on him at the rescue centre. She wasnt actually my first choice but felt it prudent to get the one he liked. Needless to say she is now Daddy's cat and the rest of us dont get a look in! I think his reluctance to get another was because he was upset when the last one died and also mainly because he can be a tight a*rse and thinks they cost too much.

14. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I know you're not . . . . .but you know me [​IMG]
    Get a tv room/snug set up for OH . . . . . . you and the pets can roam free and enjoy the rest of the house.
    We never argue about our pets - Mr K gives me 'talks' about certain aspects of their upkeep and I ignore him completely.

15. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Sounds a bit like how it works in our house.
    I do think that Mr BS is a bit too harsh with our 2 dogs but he has eased off over the years. I spend all day at work telling kids off. I don't like getting home and doing the same to the dogs!
    I guess we have both compromised a bit. He knows that I expect him to be patient with them. I know that I can demand better behaviour from them than I used to with clear consistent commands.
    I would hate any request to shut them out of the room in the evening. I spend all day out at work without them. In the evening I want to be with them.