1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you always have to be right...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by needabreak, Aug 5, 2020.

1. nomad

nomad Star commenter

:D
    Love it!

2. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

I am right at this time, I used to be left.:p

needabreak likes this.
  3. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

I think you're right, others may not agree, I'm guessing you think you're right too but are we right to agree you're right or both right even though we are quite possibly both wrong? :eek::confused::D:D:D

4. Katzenjammer

Katzenjammer Senior commenter

In one of the choirs I sing in we raise a hand when we know that we have sung a wrong note or made a false entry. So far from making you feel silly it makes you feel more in control, and it also helps the conductor.

install likes this.
  5. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Do you have to use such language?

stopwatch, install and Oscillatingass like this.
  6. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

7. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

What is wrong with clot?;)

8. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

Agreed, absolutely no need whatsoever.

9. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Simply put, I'm a smug, arrogant get.

install likes this.
  10. Oscillatingass

Can guttersnipes be smug and arrogant? I appreciate they can easily be ""gets.

11. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Irracroesible is wot he is! And I'm a curmudgeon, of course. ;)

racroesus likes this.
  12. Sally006

Sally006 Lead commenter

Education is a classic case of new wave trends and philosophies that brand the challengers as heretics. So many initiatives that HAD to be followed without any dissension. They have all been consigned to the dustbin yet people were mercilessly bullied over not following them.

13. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Maleficent says so, so common usage doesn't apply.

14. Oscillatingass

It is an ever increasing club. I am also a member, I'll give you a frown at the next socially distanced meet.

alex_teccy, nizebaby and racroesus like this.
  15. Pageant

Pageant Occasional commenter

Lowering the tone again to say: narcissists are never ever wrong and it's hell if you live with one.

ilovesooty likes this.
  16. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

If it is something factual eg somebody tells me that Rome is the capital of Wales, then I'll fight my corner to insist I am right when I say it is in Italy. If it is something factual that I think I'm right in, but the other person is insistent eg I say a tomato is a fruit and they say it is a vegetable, then I'll admit I am not sure, but think I am right, but will check.

If it is something less concrete, not factual, but an opinion or a value judgement, I'll put forward my case and generally enjoy an open discussion, even if neither persons position has changed by the end. I'm happy to part ways with the status quo.

I agree with @coffeekid that there are some people and threads on here where people just can't accept that somebody else has a different opinion and that they are entitled to this, and that it is OK, even if both sides are equally convinced of their validity.

I have, on occasion, got into lengthy discussions on here with individuals and eventually said we would have to agree to disagree and then been hit with an insulting response.

The bottom line for me is that there are people dying everywhere and fighting for an opinion on a forum is chicken feed compared to this.

PS I have a close relative who always has to be right, regardless and sees it as a matter of pride and principle when they are questioned. by others. The result of this is that people stop talking to him, or just drop out of conversations when they get to 'that' point. It is a shame.

17. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

upload_2020-8-6_18-58-6.jpeg

Could be the motto of many teachers...
    (twas especially true in the Woodhead days)

Sally006 and EmanuelShadrack like this.
  18. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

What was right in the past, may not be right now, similarly, what is right now, may not be right in the future.
    Being right or wrong (on many issues) is probably a transient phenomena.:confused:

19. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

There was a Headteacher who seemed to follow this principle. People would say that, with her, you were only as good as your last mistake.
    Needless to say, morale was not good at her school

alex_teccy likes this.
  20. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

I have to stop myself from getting embroiled in this sort of thing:

DutyCalls.png