1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you always have to be right...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by needabreak, Aug 5, 2020.

1. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

... even when you're wrong? I do and I'm right. :D:D:D:D

sunshineneeded and nomad like this.
  2. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

No. I don't have the energy.

cissy3, Jamvic, vannie and 1 other person like this.
  3. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Unfortunately, yes. It's tiresome. I inherited this trait from my father.

4. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Plus, I've seen that need played out so much on here, and it's tiresome and sometimes embarrassing and it makes me glad I don't have that desire, or compulsion.

5. vannie

vannie Star commenter

No I don't think so. I like to think I'll put my hands up when I'm wrong and I'm always up for learning something. I also like to agree to disagree. I find it liberating.

nizebaby, needabreak and coffeekid like this.
  6. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Eh?

Never experienced it. What is this strange condition?

7. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Reminds me of what a colleague said about another person we had to work with "There's his way, and the wrong way."

vannie likes this.
  8. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I can't bear confrontation. It gives me horrible anxiety. Which often goes hand in hand with the need to be right. For me to stick to my guns takes a lot of effort and goes against my natural instincts. That's not to say I always roll over and play dead (I definitely don't) but that's what my inner voice tells me to do.

9. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I could never work in politics. My husband does, and I find that hard enough. He has a much thicker skin than me though.

Alice K and vannie like this.
  10. Katzenjammer

Katzenjammer Senior commenter

Or, as I used to say to my [then] teenaged children, "agree with me now, it will save us all time".
    They are still speaking to me.

coffeekid likes this.
  11. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Oh God Yes! Drives me mad. And drives other people mad as well.

And alongside it I find it hard to ignore other people being wrong, which also drives me and others mad!

I'm always really pleased that I neither have to work with me or live with me.

Trekkie, needabreak, nomad and 4 others like this.
  12. gainly

gainly Star commenter

To quote the legendary Brian Clough;

"We talk about it for 20 minutes and then we decide I was right” – on listening to players' opinions.

"[​IMG]

13. modelmaker

modelmaker Lead commenter

I think it depends to some extent what you've done for a living. You won't find an engineer who'll pretend it's possible to fit a square peg into a round hole. Allthough engineers might disagree about the best way to make a round peg perfectly fit a round hole and similiar to square pegs in square holes, the one thing they will always agree on and be adamant about to non-engineers is that square pegs will never fit round holes or their jobs were ever as easy as a history teacher, who can make up any gumph, because it's impossible to prove them wrong without a lifetime of studying every version of history written; and even then you'll only end up with a fraction of the truth.

If someone says they know about engineering, the chances are they've been conditioned to be honest and if they say they're right, they probably are.

14. gainly

gainly Star commenter

[​IMG]

15. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Not when it comes to map reading or sensing which direction to take. I know I am wrong. Always. :D

16. modelmaker

modelmaker Lead commenter

That's not a proper fit though, is it though, @gainly? It's the sort of thing a sharp salesperson would pretend was possible, but an engineer would say the salesperson was a c**t and you ought to have known better than to listen to her.

Or him.

17. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

I gave up on the fantasy of being right by my late teens, when I realised that I was usually wrong.

install likes this.
  18. install

install Star commenter

I always think of this quote: ‘Anyone who thinks they are right all the time has nothing to learn about life’.

For me, it isn’t about being right or wrong - there is often the grey area in between that is missed. Although it keeps the peace to let the other half ‘think’ they are right all the time.

:);):)

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
    cissy3, gainly and coffeekid like this.
  19. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

I've quoted this before, but now seems a good time to repeat it.

"I'm never wrong. I thought I was once, but I was wrong."

20. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

People's perceptions are interesting. If I do something wrong in the chorus I make a point of saying that I did. I also have a role of listening out for when the wrong notes are being sung, and I'm expected to say if I hear something wrong. I nicely say that perhaps X part were singing a wrong note in a certain bar. That is all people remember. They completely ignore the fact that I am brutally honest about my own mistakes. No one likes to be wrong deep down, I think!