1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you agree that this is absurd?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Oct 16, 2015.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-34548109

"A man has been fined for leaving his wheelie bin out to be collected on the wrong day.

Gerald Thompson, 51, who was prosecuted by Stoke-on-Trent City Council, was fined £150 but with costs it totals more than £550.

Thompson, of Glendale Street, Burslem, will be paying it back at £10 a week.

His defence was that he could not get his bin out of the back door and would have had to take it through his house, so he left it on the road.

'Absolutely crazy'

Thompson was charged with failing to comply with a requirement imposed by a waste collection authority.

Outside the North Staffordshire Justice Centre, he described the verdict as "crazy".

"That is absolutely crazy," he said.

"What is this world coming to?

"How can somebody be convicted for leaving as bin outside the house because they don't want to live with that bin?

"Living with a bin inside our house makes it smell, especially a green wheelie bin."

Tompion Platt, head of policy and research at pedestrian campaigning group Living Streets, warned wheelie bins could be awkward obstacles for people using the pavement.

He said: "Our streets should be easy and accessible to walk in and leaving items, such as wheelie bins out on pavements, can act as an obstruction, especially for those who are blind or partially sighted, parents with buggies and people in wheelchairs."

[​IMG]

The first question I ask myself is how did the residents of this street cope with their waste when the houses were built?

The next one is, have they become victims of the never-ending amount of waste that commerce forces them to acquire and a council who isn't dealing with their refuse collection in a sensible manner? The very notion that residents would be expected to drag wheelie bins into their houses is beyond daft.

When these houses were built, there wasn't anything like the amount of packaging there is now to dispose of. What little there was would probably have been burnt in the fireplace. It seems to me that the council should address the matter properly, rather than attempt to deal with this problem in the idiotic manner of taking council tax payers to court.

Of course, Tompion Platt, head of policy and research at pedestrian campaigning group Living Streets does have a point, however I wonder whether he's considered that movement around people's homes also needs to be accessible and any wheelchair-bound resident would find life even more insufferable with a wheelie bin in their house.

2. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Councils are generally ass-holes.

lexus300 likes this.
  3. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

The guy had the chance to talk to the council about the problem he was having but he didn't. I don't often support councils over what appears to be a bit of a daft decision, but I've just watched the story on the Midland News and I don't agree with this chap. The pavement looked quite narrow and anyone trying to push a buggy or in a wheelchair would be difficult as he'd left the bin out for weeks.

4. Duke of York

Then the council needs to think about alternative ways to deal with the waste. I agree that having a wheelie bin on a narrow pavement is wrong. The daft thing is the council think it's fine to have it there on collection day, and I'd say it should never be there full stop.

5. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Where I live, people park their Chelsea tractors on the pavements. I'd be happy to see them fined, but wheelie bins aren't that big in comparison. Haven't watched the story like Dragonlady.

6. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

Have the council also addressed the problem of people parking on the pavement?

7. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Doesn't look like it.

8. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

In our area, you get a warning before a £20 fine.

9. maurice-r

maurice-r Established commenter

Will the pompous, money-grubbing little Hitlers of Stoke council fine themselves for making bad decisions? I doubt it.

10. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

I saw it too Dragonlady, but I must've missed the bit about him not talking to the council. But it showed that he physically had no access to the back because the landlord had nailed the gate shut! It then showed him wheeling the bin through his house! Was it ITV of BBC I wonder.

11. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Where I live some residents leave their bins on the street all the time. This is since the council refused to drive their bin wagon down the back street any more. I have complained to the council about the bins lying about and causing a hazrad to traffic but they have ignored it. I bet it doesn't happen in the posh areas.

12. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

On the BBC they interviewed someone from the council who said if he'd approached them, they'd have spoken to his landlord and sorted the gate.

cissy3 likes this.
  13. Duke of York

So to be clear, the council who claim they "did not take decisions to prosecute lightly, and only did it as a last resort." are now saying they never knew there was an issue with the landlord nailing the back gate shut.

You couldn't make it up if you tried.

14. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Bar stewards, all of them. A plague on their Council orifices.

15. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Our last home had no back gate (terrace) and for ten years, we dragged the bins from the back to front and, gasp! we brought them back through the house to the back -annoying yes, but considerate of others and took maybe 2 minutes.

16. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

When they used to collect the waste weekly a smaller bin would probably have sufficed. This would have been easier to manoeuvre through the house if necessary.

We never used to have wheelie bins, but with the fortnightly collection now in operation we have to have one to house all the waste. There's no way I could lift that and carry it through the house. Luckily I have a garage, so can just open the door and wheel it onto the drive.

I have every sympathy for the bloke in question.

17. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I have steps going down and around a corner from our front garden. That+wheelie bins is a nightmare...

18. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Start a campaign to bring back the proper dustmen who walked up your path picked up the steel dustbin carried it to the lorry, emptied it and brought it back and placed the lid back on it. THOSE WERE THE DAYS MY FRIENDS:)

19. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Only when they felt like it. They used to ignore our bins if they weren't taken to the pavement end of the side passage that ran down the side of our house - but they took the trouble to walk about 60' there and back down the side passage to avail themselves of a gas cooker we had replaced and were going to sell on, and had put in the side passage (funnily enough even further from the pavement than the bins were usually kept). That was the year that when they asked for their christmas box, my mother told them they'd had it for the next 10 years as they'd taken the cooker!

needabreak and sabrinakat like this.
  20. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

If the cars weren't there I'm sure the buggie-trundlers and mobility-scooterists would have a much easier time of it.

It's 2015. Those houses were built more than a hundred years ago. We just have to do the best we can. A fine is not appropriate. Nor would I be prepared to wheel bins through my house. I would bring my OCD to the forefront and get a psychiatric exemption!