1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you actually understand staff meetings?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Ev11, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Right,first day back and into a lengthy staff meeting. Every week I leave staff meeting feeling completely demorialised. I seem to have no idea what they are talking about, am reminded and nagged for the hundredth time about childrens presentation, sitting down properly etc. I feel a failure that the handwriting isnt properly done and just more digs. I think they have forgotton having a class.
    They bring in new procedures, new forms of APP, are now monitoring different focuses each week just for fun. Thats exactly what 5 new members of staff need or want to hear first day back after christmas.
    Is it just me day dreaming or you just sit there thinking what are they talking about? xx

2. Right,first day back and into a lengthy staff meeting. Every week I leave staff meeting feeling completely demorialised. I seem to have no idea what they are talking about, am reminded and nagged for the hundredth time about childrens presentation, sitting down properly etc. I feel a failure that the handwriting isnt properly done and just more digs. I think they have forgotton having a class.
    They bring in new procedures, new forms of APP, are now monitoring different focuses each week just for fun. Thats exactly what 5 new members of staff need or want to hear first day back after christmas.
    Is it just me day dreaming or you just sit there thinking what are they talking about? xx

3. Oh yeah! [​IMG]

4. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Can't really remember the last time I paid proper attention in one.

5. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

Sleeping Gandalf-like with one's eyes open is a must-have skill.

6. Glad I'm not alone. I am always at my lowest after a staff meeting of any kind. I just always feel so inadequate. [​IMG]

7. try bull-s**t bingo - it passes the time

8. inky

inky Lead commenter

For many people, an adequate command of jargon and bullsh i t is a sort of crutch.

9. inky

inky Lead commenter

For many people, a command of jargon and bul lsh it is a kind of crutch.

10. inky

inky Lead commenter

Be Proud to be Baffled.
    Not understanding the swamp of verbiage is a sign of one or more of:

a sense of humour
    integrity
    a low boredom threshold

11. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

I have got v. good at nodding and taking notes industriously. Of course, the notes are just my shopping list for Tesco as soon as SM ends. (Oh how carefully we watch the minute hand on that clock....)

12. On a Tuesday afternoon I'm all listened out, I make sure I understand the information that's relevant to me and productive. If it's not relevant at all or it's jsut negative banter then I find it difficult to have the energy to listen at all.

13. Do all people have their staff meetings on a Tuesday?

14. Ours are a bit of a moveable feast
    "Bob has a hair appointment on Tuesday, so can we have SM on Wednesday this week?"
    " Fred is on a course on Wednesday so can't make that, how about Thursday?
    "Anyone busy on Thursday? No, fine, Thursday it is then"

( Names have been changed to protect the guilty!)

15. inky

inky Lead commenter

Of course, not all staff meetings are bull*hit bingo sessions. I quite enjoy the more normal ones in which we discuss practicalities.

16. mprimaryz

mprimaryz New commenter

Staff meetings...hmmmm!

Start by taking bets as to when it's going to end.
    Listen to all the shpeal and keep your head down.
    Try to yawn without opening your mouth which makes your eyes water.
    Realise that you have pins and needles and need to try to move to do something about it.
    The moment of 'oh my god, I actually cannot remember anything they have just said in the last 5 minutes/hour.'
    Make notes and then never look at them again!
    Answer all questions with 'hmmmmm, interesting, I'll have a think.'
    and last but not least the blatant lie of 'Of course I know who all my 2c children are and how many fsm I've got.'

Followed by a healthy one hour moan about how pointless the meeting was.

If only we were just allowed to teach!

17. The most powerful word to use in a staff meeting is WHY?

Listen, then say "Why?" at opportune moments. It's the best way of keeping the Head and Wannabees under control. If you slumber or play bullsh*t bingo, they'll get some dumb-assed, half-baked initiative through and you'll find yourself having to perform an extra "it'll only take you 5 minutes" job within a few weeks because SMT will claim "but we all agreed this in the staff meeting."

Another powerful word is "No."

18. We have staff meetings on Mondays and joint Key Stage meetings on a Tuesday, in other words, 2 full meetings, sometimes, just for the 'sake' of them and, GOD FORBID, if anyone has anything 'further to add' at the end!!!