1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

do years abroad count when returning to main scale?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by alpine273, Feb 7, 2012.

1. alpine273

alpine273 New commenter

aside from applying for salary-specific management or leadership posts, can someone please advise as to whether my 3 years teaching abroad will count when returning to the 'main scale' of the UK primary system? is this really at the school's discretion, or is there any legislation regarding this?
    thanks in advance.

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

They do not count, unless you can find a very generous-with-dwindling-funds head and governing body.
    Don't count on it, therefore.

3. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

It depends on a lot of different things, I would say. As a regular contributor to the "teaching overseas" forum, I would say that quite a lot of principals in the UK do not regard experience of teaching overseas as a bonus and in fact it could count against you. Following the PYP or the IB is not always a good preparation for teaching the English National Curriculum. Teaching polite, respectful and industrious children in the Far East does not really prepare you for a tough inner city comprehensive in the UK. Some international schools provide good CPD and a lot don't. My guess is that your three years of teaching abroad will not be valued very highly and perhaps it would have been wise to stay overseas, as there are so few teaching jobs in the UK at the moment and so many people applying for them.

4. Crowbob

Crowbob Senior commenter

As I have mentioned before, I am not so sure that this is the case. If you move and go to work in the EU and then return to the UK and your school refuses to recognise length of service in another Member State, this may be a restriction on the free movement of persons. The UK would then need to justify the rules before the European Court.
    I would be interested to see what the Court would make of such pay rules, but I don't know of such a case arising (yet).

5. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

An interesting concept. I suspect that the defence would be that it movement up the pay scales reflects experience in our state education system, and has nothing to do with free movement. It is about years with (effectively) the same employer, in the same way that somebody moving up the pay scale at one bank cannot automatically count those years of service at another. If that one failed, we could have the crazy situation where teaching experience in France counted but not in an English private sector school. In any case, schools already seem to be focusing on staff lower down the pay scale, so it would be harder for returning teachers to get a job if they have to come in at a higher point.

6. Crowbob

Crowbob Senior commenter

I am not sure that this would be a valid justification. The Court interprets justifications extremely narrowly.
    The Court has interpreted restrictions on free movement extremely broadly. It includes measures that would dissuade somebody from exercising their free movement rights. A measure which "ties" pay to staying in the same Member State, is (at least potentially) disuassive.
    Therein lies one of the oddities of EU law. It may be a crazy situation, but it is perfectly consistent with other areas of EU law. It is a concept known as "reverse discrimination", as those working for the English private sector would be governed by a wholly internal situation (i.e. not within the scope of EU law). It is no different than "mutual recognition" of academic qualifications.