1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do year 4 study class novels in addition to guided reading and other literacy activities?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by bassetthound, Jun 5, 2012.

1. bassetthound

bassetthound New commenter

Hi, just wondering if year 4 generally have a class novel to study as well as their guided reading books?

I'll be new to year 4 in September so I'm trying to get my head round how I'll organise my day and terms.

Thanks

2. bassetthound

Hi, just wondering if year 4 generally have a class novel to study as well as their guided reading books?

I'll be new to year 4 in September so I'm trying to get my head round how I'll organise my day and terms.

Thanks

3. Do you mean in literacy lessons or just to read at end of day etc?

4. bassetthound

No I mean as a text to study, everyone in the class reading it and then dong a range of activities depending on ability. Sorry if this is a daft question but I've only ever taught in year 2 so I really feel like I haven't got a clue!

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

We use class novels from Y2 upwards

6. In a session other than literacy? Sorry is it me being stupid now?

7. Thats how most literacy lessons take place isn't it?

8. ShadowMan

ShadowMan New commenter

It's up to you really. Personally, my class have group readers that they do very little written work based on. Then they usually have a class novel that I read to them all and we base most literacy lessons on this.
    That way you can differentiate the reading easily - but everyone is covering the same text when doing differentiated writing tasks.

9. If you're doing WW2 I would recommend Blitz from he My Story novels series. It is based on the QCA I think and is the diary of a girl living through the war. My Y4s were gripped!