1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do we think more of animals than humans?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by oldsomeman, Jun 26, 2019.

1. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Suggestions are being mooted that cruelty to an animal might be raised to carry up to 5 years jail sentence. At the moment its 3 months, I believe.
    Yet people who do a variety of anti-human actions rarely get punished enough and even for maiming and hurt they often are not punished.
    It's not to say animals should not be protected but it seems to me animals have more value in our crazy world.

sbkrobson likes this.
  2. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Yes. There was an article about a TV presenter having her dog on a seat with her on a train. Backlash. (No excuse for cruelty though)

ilovesooty likes this.
  3. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Some animals are nicer then some humans.

4. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

??
    So are courgettes.

5. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Lead commenter

I'd rather be with my dog than my husband.

T34 and Laphroig like this.
  6. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

We do not protect animals hardly at all. Recent cases of hunt followers (I refuse to call even these pitiable people as servants) feeding live fox cubs to hounds to get them encouraged to kill, have escaped any kind of real punishment. Greyhounds break down and are put down as well as many horses in the "sport of kings". Occasionally video is smuggled out of abattoirs showing the most unecessary cruel treatment of animals on their way to their deaths. Today I saw a picture of a dog some scrote had dragged behind a bike/scooter til it died. It just goes on and on even to the point of the alleged number of animals needlessly euthanised by an organisation like the RSPCA (it would be cold day in a very hot place before they ever got a penny of my money!)
    We do not take anything like sufficient care of the animals on this planet and considering that all too often inhumane treatment of animals highlights a probable psychopathic nature we stand idly by. Animals don't have a voice, people do.

7. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

It's up to five years ; many sentences will be much shorter.

I don't think that raising animal cruelty sentences translates as failing to value people.

bombaysapphire and HelenREMfan like this.
  8. 7eleven

7eleven Senior commenter

Nor do I. If anything, I think one could argue that it raises the value of humans. Not sure I can properly articulate what I mean, but holding humans to account for their treatment of animals, and therefore having high expectations of society’s behaviour, could be considered a consequence of believing that humans are capable of reasoned, intelligent and humane actions. Sorry, probably haven’t explained that very well, but I know what I mean!

9. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

I'd rather be with MY dogs than your husband.

Bedlam3 likes this.
  10. Ivartheboneless

In a society where the punishment does not fit the crime the whole system of judicial sentencing needs addressing. If you watch anything on telly that involves "crime", be it animal welfare, police chase programmes, those fraud buster programmes, it does not take long to understand the random handing out of sentences. That bloke who milkshaked Farage seemed to be heavily punished, while on those police programmes they have a dramatic chase in cars, the stolen car gets smashed up, then they tell you the scrote gets a suspended sentence, a fine of 200 quid, and banned from driving for three years. A motorcyclist a few years back got a custodial sentence for riding at 120 miles an hour, he didn't hit anybody or damage any property! The whole system is slewed. Some people who a cruel to animals are probably psychos and need locking up, but many could be dealt with in other ways, as could other sentences be more fit to there crimes. The worst is sexual assault cases which the Guardian has been reporting on for weeks. Its a wonder any young woman ever goes on a date!

So, I am not against punishment, and severe punishment for people who mistreat animals, I just think we need to be proportionate with other crimes. The other problem is, of course, overcrowded prisons.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  11. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

I loved the picture of Emily Maitlis and her gorgeous whippet curled up beside her on the train. Her mistake was not to have placed a rug under him.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  12. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I know I do. I have a responsibility to animals whereas adult humans must paddle their own canoe for the most part.

Am I callous and uncaring? 80%, I reckon. Unless it's an animal.

13. LondonCanary

Dogs go on the floor not seats or furniture.

14. border_walker

border_walker Established commenter

When did humans stop being animals?

nomad and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  15. Oldfashioned

Oldfashioned Senior commenter

Humans are mostly unpleasant. Animals lack malice and suffer at the hands of people. I prefer animals.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  16. LondonCanary

Not many people realize that the damage and injury animals cause is without malice.

17. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

upload_2019-6-27_10-20-40.jpeg

It's a bit cheeky, I know. But I wouldn't object unless the seat were needed. A rug under the dog would be preferable.
    I object more to the person in the seat behind with their feet on the seat.

Edit: I think Emily should take her dog to work. He could nap on a seat alongside the guests in the studio whilst she presents Newsnight. I think it might boost the viewing figures. I'd certainly tune in.

18. LondonCanary

Dogs on any seat is wrong. Dogs go on the floor. It's basic dog ownership.

les25paul and nomad like this.
  19. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

If people pay for a seat and put a rug under the animal why can't they be on a seat?

20. Ivartheboneless

No. Her mistake was having the dog on the seat. Seats on public transport are for humans. It was inconsiderate, for all sorts of reasons (think about some of them).

les25paul likes this.