1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do we really need all this ****?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by David Getling, Jan 20, 2011.

1. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

I've just had a well meaning email, telling me, that in a job application, I should mention stuff like Assessment for Learning, Every Child Matters, Active Learning, etc. Also, when you look at some job specs, you sometimes see up to three pages of this kind of stuff.

My point is, if the kids enjoy being in my class, are learning well, getting good results and the parents are happy too, do I really need all this rubbish.

If you stopped almost anybody in the street and asked them to recall a good teacher they had had, and why they were good, what to you think they would say?

The kind of stuff I've mentioned in the first paragraph reeks of bureaucracy and pseudo- scientific hogwash. What do you think?

2. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

I've just had a well meaning email, telling me, that in a job application, I should mention stuff like Assessment for Learning, Every Child Matters, Active Learning, etc. Also, when you look at some job specs, you sometimes see up to three pages of this kind of stuff.

My point is, if the kids enjoy being in my class, are learning well, getting good results and the parents are happy too, do I really need all this rubbish.

If you stopped almost anybody in the street and asked them to recall a good teacher they had had, and why they were good, what to you think they would say?

The kind of stuff I've mentioned in the first paragraph reeks of bureaucracy and pseudo- scientific hogwash. What do you think?

3. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious New commenter

AFL is what we do anyway, it's just useful to bring it up to show that you actually know your classes are learning something (or not, as the case may be). If you know your classes are learning well then you must be doing some form of AfL - job done.
    As for ECM, schools are obliged to ensure that kids aren't at risk. Beyond the headings, I couldn't recite much of it, but since we see the kids for 6 hours of every day (which in some cases would be more than their parents), we really should be flagging up cases where we think something is going wrong either in school or at home. If our actions can help a family, we should probably be doing it.
    A lot of the way this stuff is articulated is bull, but the underlying idea behind those two is at least reasonable.

4. Agree mate
    As you may have seen in my maths forum posts, all the trash is presented by those not teaching anymore, very often because they can't teach in the 21st century.
    Its transient BS and at the end of the day what would the school take?
    <u>Scenario 1</u>
    Poor teacher who spouts all the trendy words and can't control a class, inspire kids and deliver results yet manages to fabricate a lesson to be observed. These folk kill themselves for hours on end to service one lesson observations whilst all other everyday lessons go out the window
    or
    <u>Scenario 2</u>
    Superb, day in day out teacher, kids respect, they control the class and deliver value added results 20-25 lessons a week yet don't play ball on the wishy washy trash?
    For me, no doubt.
    When asked in an interview what I understood by differentiation for visual learners at Key Stage 3, my response was. "It only appears on the A level exams these days doesn't it?"
    You can imagine the rest of the day

5. MarkS

MarkS New commenter

Great thread!!!
    I think AfL is the only one of those that means anything. Every Child Matters? Well, yes, how bloomin' obvious!!
    The whole 'Visual, Auditory, Kinaesthetic' thing has finally died a death in my school, thank goodness...hopefully with a bit of help from me [​IMG]...I think everyone here now accepts that to be truly successful, kids have to be able to adapt to learning in all differnt ways, and not having their 'learning style' pandered to!
    And yes...I definitely want my department full of teachers described in Scenario 2
    Mark