1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

do we need to follow the SACRE scheme of work?

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by wigglypops, Jul 21, 2011.

1. We want to teach RE thematically next year, which looks like it'll be amazing- but do we need to stick to the SACRE SoW instead???!

Help!

2. We want to teach RE thematically next year, which looks like it'll be amazing- but do we need to stick to the SACRE SoW instead???!

Help!

3. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

In short no, but you might be asked to show where you do meet the SACRE SOW

So for example if doing a unit of work on 'does god exist' you can tick off the a fair bit of christian and other religious views from the verious sections in the SACRE.

4. Sounds like you have done some good work which would be of great interest to your SACRE. The LA syllabus has to be rewritten every three (or 4) years and most of the SACREs I have served on have found it difficult to get input directly from the classroom. If you are not on SACRE you should find out who your Rep is and make them aware of your thematic SoW and suggest it is incorporated into the next rewrite.

5. san38

san38 New commenter

We may be 'supposed' to but I have yet to find anyone who actually cares whether we do or not!
    I have had 3 ofsted inspections, none of which checked our POS against the agreed syllabus.
    Certainly management doesn't care as long as end results are Ok.
    I suspect only a subject inspection would even notice. As said above I essentially teach what suits me and then 'tick off' the bits of the syllabus that this fits - my local RE inspectors is fine with this.I do wonder really what purpose the SACRE serves anymore but that's another topic I guess.