1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do we need to be worried?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by bobbieb, Oct 30, 2017.

1. bobbieb

bobbieb New commenter

Hi Everyone,

I am an AHT in a Secondary school. We have a new Headteacher starting at Easter. The new Head has been into school for a couple of meetings, and to get to know staff etc.

He has mentioned wanting to bring in some effective staff that he knows from other schools that he has worked in, despite the fact that we have no vacancies or money to create new additional posts. He has also hinted at wanting to place staff on capability.

I feel slightly worried about it all. I am not adverse to change, and I also have no problem with nonperformance being challenged, however it concerns me that hardworking staff may be at risk of being managed out, simply to make room for these new people. It also concerns me personally as I am a member of SLT and I really don't want to leave - I love the school. I am worried that I won't fit into his plans.

Am I worrying unnecessarily or could the Head force these changes?

2. abacus1982

abacus1982 Occasional commenter

Personally I would be worried. How does he know you haven't got the effective staff in your current school? I also think there's a danger in bringing in people you know already. Will they just be "yes" people? Why does he want to place staff on capability? How does he know that they are under performing to this extent?

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  3. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I'd be worried too. New brooms will usually want to sweep clean and there may well be casualties amongst existing staff. They want to bring in people that they know will subscribe to their way of thinking and whilst existing staff may not be averse to change, it will take time to get them on message.

4. george1963

george1963 Occasional commenter

I've only known two heads who 'brought staff with them.' and both were 'myway or the highway' heads. Interestingly, one received a very bad Ofsted and the other got booted from the Academy chain. Karma but very bad for the staff who left, in one school, 100% of teaching staff in 18 months.

5. asnac

asnac Established commenter

I think he's foolish to let his plans be known. Even the higher performing staff will sense a threat, or at least foresee an uncomfortable time if he's going to stuff the staff room with his mates. I think you will see some resignations. They may not be the ones he wants.

6. abacus1982

abacus1982 Occasional commenter

Not sure why you'd want to take people you knew with you. Each school is different and the more people you work with the more you learn from different approaches, experiences etc. I've also worked with amazing teachers, TAs but I'd struggle to work with some of them as their head as I had a totally different relationship with them than I could do now if I were their boss.

7. tonymars

tonymars Occasional commenter

Yes. Be very worried.