1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do we need an overhaul of school funding?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Oct 22, 2015.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

MPs seem to think so. More than 100 have called on David Cameron to look at school funding again because they believe it is “arbitrary and unfair” and that money given to schools should be geared towards improving standards.

The request comes at a time when an influential think tank has warned that schools could face cuts of up to 8 per cent over the next Parliament.

https://www.tes.com/news/school-new...-cuts-8-cent-over-five-years-institute-fiscal

https://www.tes.com/news/school-new...-funding-shake-would-hit-some-schools-16-cuts

What are your thoughts on this?

2. TES_Rosaline

What are your views on this issue?

3. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

No takers yet Rosie. I suppose my reaction was to ignore this because I simply don't trust our members of parliament to do anything that would actually be of benefit to schools. The three proper political parties all support academies and free schools. If they don't understand what is wrong with that, then what can they understand at all about education?

4. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

What's the point in replying?

How is it ever going to be fixed now?

RedQuilt likes this.
  5. TES_Rosaline

6. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

I think this is another case of politicians trying to take a complex issue and convert it into a simple sum such as 1+1=2.

The idea that there is a simple direct link between education funding (%GDP) and educational outcomes is contradicted by studies worldwide.

I don't know if school funding is as simple as it used to be whereby the majority of the budget was produced by the list put on the staffroom wall about this time of year and you had to fill how many students you had on role P3 Thursday, but I don't think it is vastly more complicated.

Spare a thought for FE, last report I remember seeing, their major funding stream was split around 20 ways. That was some years ago, but I don't think they have it much easier.

In essence, education needs to have enough to do the job, but the job needs to be well defined. I don't think we have this in this country because of the constant fiddling that goes on by the politicians so the issue of funding becomes totally confused.