1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do we have the same protection in the private sector?

Discussion in 'Independent' started by moolumpy, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Dear Theo
    I work in a private school, one of a large group, and I am a member of NASUWT. Do we have the same rights when it comes to how lesson observations are conducted as there are in the state sector? Are we entitled to notice and a list of criteria?
    Thank you

2. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

As it is a private enterprise, and from my experience in private schools, my answer would be no.
    However there is nothing stopping you from asking your HoD for a list of criteria and a notice period.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Nope.
    Nope.
    Being in a union makes no difference . . .
    Not the answer that you wanted to hear, I'm afraid!
    You are the employee of a private company. Just like the employees of, say, M&S or John Lewis can be assessed by their managers at any time, so can you.
    However, I would be surprised if the groups such as GDST, UCST, etc didn't have a Protocol or Policy on such things as teacher assessment, performance management, classroom observations, etc. Try asking someone at Head Office - H.R. could be your first port of call.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars
    I am timetabled for the October seminars - see you there!

4. v12

v12

I was rather put out a few years ago to be inspected teaching a class without so much as a 'by-your-leave'. I was teaching a lesson in the Pre-Prep school attached to my Prep school.
    It wasn't the inspection which upset me, more that it was a junior, younger, newer member of staff with no experience in my subject armed with a clip-board who afterwards refused to give me any feedback.
    I was incandescent - but reserved my temper for <u>my </u>Headmaster (we are part of a three-school school) after the lesson (obviously not in front of the children). He was also quite livid!
    I received a full written apology from all parties - and it hasn't happened again!