1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do we have a Bake Off thread?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Aquamarina1234, Sep 17, 2019.

1. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

If so, I can't find it. It may be because this year's lot are so young, but the level of sheer ignorance is breathtaking.
    Never made rough-puff? It was a staple of my Y8 SoW. Never made lemon curd? Did it with Y9 until it we weren't allowed to do boiled sugar for H&S reasons. Never heard of a maid of honour? Forgot to put water in the pastry?
    Hell's teeth.

2. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

You aren't wrong. But I'm enjoying watching the Indian sweets now.

3. Aquamarina1234

Yes, they improved massively in the last round, probably because they researched and practised. They don't seen to have much in the way of basic mechanical knowledge.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

You know I thought there was as I thought I'd replied. I'll have a search.

5. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Sometimes I cannot believe the level of vapid traditionalism on here; none of that matters a jot if you can make a semi recognisable travelling Armadillo family out of of pine nut and ricotta filled bread in goji berry, elderflower and chipotle striations.
    Actually.

6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Found it. It;s unusually entitled plain 'Bake Off', so probably why you missed it. 'It's here and under Personal rather than Cookery.

Aquamarina1234 likes this.
  7. Aquamarina1234

I bet you're a real laugh at a party.

8. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Have they done any proper pies like meat n tater?

9. Aquamarina1234

Thanks. I don't get the "search" option when I'm using it on my phone.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  10. gargs

gargs Star commenter

I've never made rough puff or lemon curd and haven't heard of a maid of honour. Up until a couple of years ago, I didn't really bother with baking as my oven was completely unreliable. Now I've got a new oven a whole world of baked goods is opening up to me! I would probably still buy ready made puff pastry and lemon curd though :)

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  11. Aquamarina1234

Yes, but you're not entering a national baking competition!
    It's like me entering Mechanic Of the Year when I barely manage changing the oil.

BertieBassett2 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  12. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I have never baked in my life

13. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I was baffled that some didn't seem to have practised basic staples that even I've heard of.

My real despair recently was in the first round of this year's "Counterpoint" Radio 4 music quiz. There was a question about a Karl Jenkins piece, asking "which 20th century peace campaigner" the music clip was an elegy to. That might sound hard, but the lyrics were "he had a dream", and nobody got it, even after the questionmaster said there was a clue in the words.

14. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Galling how some people are that limited in their general knowledge! You'd have thought at least one of them would have know it was Björn Ulvaeus.