1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do we ask too much of children on trips?

Discussion in 'School trips' started by Shabbatshalom, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Today we took two yr4 classes on a local environment trip. This involved walking the children to a central location for a certain time. We did this, after crossing numerous main roads in the city centre, trying to keep the children and parents together!!!! We were then late walking back for dinnertime, making it for the last 10 minutes and having several children so tired on the walk back that one twisted her leg, whilst others fell, tripped and lost shoes!!! All of this was then followed by having to then walk to another location for sport in the afternoon, and then walk back! The risk assessment was rushed through by a senior manager who has no idea what a hazard is!!! May I point out that we followed the risk assessment and that the days events were also planned by the same senior manager. Having just soaked my feet in a foot bath, my question is, do we ask far too much of children on enrichment trips?

2. blazer

blazer Star commenter

We don't if the trip is well planned by someone with experience! However modern kids are so unfit that if you ask them to walk 100 meters they complain and need the next day off to recover.

3. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I should add that the Risk assessment should have been shared with all the staff well before the trip departs. Thus everyone has a chance to state any problems they can see with it!

4. They didn't complain, they were highly resilient and did very well, however, a leisurely pace would have sufficed rather than the gallop we had to take to keep within the days shedule

5. blazer

blazer Star commenter

So as well as a Risk assessment the planner of this trip should have some sort of itinerary with timings!