1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do trans fats concern you?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by modelmaker, Jul 26, 2011.

1. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

I have to be honest, it's only recently that I've become aware of trans fats, and this was from the Food Programme a couple of weeks ago. They don't sound that kind to us.
    Out of choice, and because I prefer the taste, I've only ever eaten and cooked with butter, olive oil or lard, yet it seems to have been scientifically established some 20 years ago that hydrogenated vegetable fats are the worstest ever for our health.
    I don't watch the telly often these days, but when I did, almost every time the adverts came on, someone was trying to flog me margaine as a healthier substitute.
    It seems they've stopped doing this now, but these products are still being flogged and promoted by supermarkets.
    Our Government's opinion is that instead of banning them which takes yeras to implement, self-regulation within the food industry is more effective and points to the results that have been achieved.
    Is this good enough? Critics say the highest threats come from fast food outlets which fall outside the mainstream suppliers.
    I'm alright, Jack. I don't eat it though choice, and it's rare we dine on fast food, but as we know, many do.
    It seems quite ironic that Governments throughout the world were able to deal with the banning of smoking in public places on the grounds of passive smoking,despite allowing smokers to continue their habit and yet they turn a blind eye to the equal killer of trans fats.

2. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

I have to be honest, it's only recently that I've become aware of trans fats, and this was from the Food Programme a couple of weeks ago. They don't sound that kind to us.
    Out of choice, and because I prefer the taste, I've only ever eaten and cooked with butter, olive oil or lard, yet it seems to have been scientifically established some 20 years ago that hydrogenated vegetable fats are the worstest ever for our health.
    I don't watch the telly often these days, but when I did, almost every time the adverts came on, someone was trying to flog me margaine as a healthier substitute.
    It seems they've stopped doing this now, but these products are still being flogged and promoted by supermarkets.
    Our Government's opinion is that instead of banning them which takes yeras to implement, self-regulation within the food industry is more effective and points to the results that have been achieved.
    Is this good enough? Critics say the highest threats come from fast food outlets which fall outside the mainstream suppliers.
    I'm alright, Jack. I don't eat it though choice, and it's rare we dine on fast food, but as we know, many do.
    It seems quite ironic that Governments throughout the world were able to deal with the banning of smoking in public places on the grounds of passive smoking,despite allowing smokers to continue their habit and yet they turn a blind eye to the equal killer of trans fats.

3. Try buying some margarine - no such thing on the supermarket shelfs, it all has brand names.

I've always used butter, olive oil ets. I figure people have been cooking with these for centuries so they must beOK.

4. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Yes, indeed they do concern me - far more than animal fats, which have had a bad press, yet most scientists and nutritionists now conclude that animal fats aren't bad for you in moderation.
    In our house we use butter, dripping, lard, leftover chicken fat and goose/duck fat in the same way that our grandparents would have, and also use olive oil, walnut oil and rapeseed oil where appropriate to the dish, and the same with groundnut oil (stir-fries and curries etc.). We would use ghee for Indian cooking, but wouldn't use sufficient quanitities to justify buying it and so use groundnut oil here as well.
    I do think there are those out there who still think that Flora is still a healthy alternative to real butter (my mother in law for starters).

5. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I have always disliked the taste of margarine and only use the so-called 'spreads' the one from olive oil for making sandwiches. But no margarine is used here.

6. Yes - only butter, olive oil and coconut oil used here, transfats are very bad! Even those spreads claiming to be healthy are dodgy. If the list of ingredients (and this goes for everything) reads like it should belong in a science lab - best not to eat it!