1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do they use global issues as an excuse to extend power?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lexus300, Oct 28, 2015.

1. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Consider four instances.
    • Environmental issues: increase control over member countries; advance the idea of global governance
    • Terrorism: use excuse for greater control over police and judicial issues; increase extent of surveillance
    • Global financial crisis: kill two birds (free market; Anglo-Saxon economies) with one stone (Europe-wide regulator; global financial governance)
    • European Monetary Union: create a crisis to force introduction of ‘European economic government’
    What do you think?
    Paranoid?
    Accurate?
    Prescient?

2. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Random thoughts:

agenda 21 in operation

put responsibility for the state's failures firmly at the door of individuals whilst further removing their personal efficacy(power) and making them bow to an even greater, more monolithic authority

global governance implies unified objectives towards the greater good, but member states are vastly different in many respects: increased conflict as one size does not fit all

use media to generate fear of the 'other' but demand uniform acceptance of the 'other' and legislate for social cohesion and inclusion

We are all DOOMED

3. maurice-r

maurice-r Established commenter

Who exactly is "they", Lexus?

4. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

They? Who?

I'm not very keen on conspiracy theories.

Plus I don't believe many of our glorious leaders are bright enough to have the wit to think any of this through.

Oh, and I also believe that many of our GLs actually believe they're on the side of the angels and are introducing all these initiatives for our own good. The Mugabes of this world are few and far between. I bet Dave and George and Boris are (well, maybe not George) kind to children and animals and give a few bob to charity and think they are making us a better world.

5. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

The USA.

6. Memphismojo

Memphismojo Established commenter

The last two.

7. Memphismojo

Memphismojo Established commenter

Random or not, I agree with them.

8. maurice-r

maurice-r Established commenter

No, the EU.

9. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

The Illuminati. The Freemasons. The Vatican Bank. The Royal Family. The Elders of Zion...

10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Royal Family are lizard people....

Icke told me so.

11. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Well of course they use big events to justify extensions of the power of the State.

Sometimes that extension is justified and other times it's not. While I may have a bee in my bonnet about NSA/GCHQ [waves hello] monitoring my online activity... has it really altered my freedoms in the last decade? Has it actually made me safer?

On the other hand... using 9/11 to justify the Iraq war... which has led to the present shitstorm in the ME... well that seems to rank up there in apocalyptically stupid.

12. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

EU/USA/China/GB/etc., in no particular order.

13. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Do we know who the real leaders are? We know who we voted for, probably not what we voted for nor who pulls their strings.
    MMM! Have you been on the pop again?

14. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Should we be concerned about that?
    IMO no.
    Is that true? I thought WMD was the justification (and lie BTW).

15. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Interesting seeing it in action right now @lexus300

Have you followed some of Trumps pronouncements in the USA? Fascinating depths being stooped to.

And of course here the events in Paris are being used to justify greater snooping on us [while they are also limiting the Freedom of Information act]. I'm sure other countries have similar going on.

Tighten the reins people, tighten them hard!

16. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

You then might wonder if any of the terrorism is state engineered. It is not inconceivable (to me, at any rate) that a government would sacrifice(through failure to prevent certain events) a small proportion of it's population if it meant that it could better control the remaining majority. Or maybe they are just opportunistic, plain and simple, and I'm the crazy one for being such a sceptic.

17. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

It's just that the solutions proposed, making the state more opaque, increasing surveillance of the populace and military intervention in various ME nations...

This is what we've been doing since 2001! They don't work.

You could also make a similar argument for open borders, asylum seekers etc.. I realise that.

But I can't see how the solution to ISIS is bombardment. Giving the Kurds weapons and training, yes that seems to be working. But dropping bombs, didn't work on London for Hitler, or for us on Hamburg. What did work was things like Bletchley, military intelligence, co-operation with Allies etc.

18. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Nor me, however I did try to do some research on them once. When I asked at the library if they had any books on conspiracy theories, the librarian said "They're behind you."

kibosh likes this.
  19. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I really dislike the term 'conspiracy theories' . . .conspiracies exist. People do conspire. Anybody who has ever been the victim of an unpleasant conspiracy in the workplace, for example, and tries to shine a light on it, is met with a response that indicates they are deluded.

Anyway, I better leave this thread before the DarkLords catch up with me.

lexus300 likes this.