1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do they honestly think people are daft?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by modelmaker, Nov 28, 2011.

1. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

The phone rang this morning. The answering thing cut in before I could get to it. I dialled 1471 to get the number of 01143 072403. As I didn't recognise the number or know many people in Sheffield who are likely to have access to my home number I did a search for it on google.
    It turns out to be a telemarketing company who use the phone numbers of people who've bought stuff online to pester them into subscribing to another catelogue. They'll call several times a day if they don't get a satisfactory response.
    When the phone rang this afternoon and I was sitting at my desk I was able to answer it. A man asked to speak to mrs modelmaker but when I asked "Who shall I say is calling?" he replied that under the Data Protection Act they are not allowed to disclose this unless they can verify they are talking to the person the call is intended for. I told him that under an agreement in this household, unexpected and unknown callers are not passed on without identification so the call will be terminated and hang up.
    I checked the number and sure enough it was the same one from the earlier call. I remembered I'd registered with the TPS at some time but couldn't remember if I'd done it with this number or the previous one I'd had with BT and was frankly glad to be rid of after their incompetence in resolving a billing dispute. After I checked, it turns out this number was registered with the TPS about a year ago, so they are breaking the law.
    I made a complaint to the TPS but I have no idea how effective they are at preventing nuisance calls. Beware. It's all very well ordering stuff online but as you are required to give your telephone number, home address and email address you render yourself open to all manner of spam.

2. I get this a LOT on my mobile, as well as junk text messages. I keep meaning to change my number but it's never a good time. Normally, I just ignore them but going into a job hunt, I'm worried I'll miss calls I actually want to take!

3. I was actually told by a cold caller, after I told him to remove my number from their database (I'm registered with the TPS) that it was my fault as I had a phone and that if I hadn't a phone he would not be able to call me. [​IMG]

4. aw27

aw27 New commenter

I don't give them my real phone number. That helps!

5. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

Anyone coming close to our house has to suffer what my dog feels is her duty to protect me. She does relentless star jumps up the front door barking like a demon if anyone dares to ring the bell.
    She's pretty good at warding off burglars and carol singers and calms down when I open the door and tell her to shut the f.cuk up.
    But you get delivery drivers who become phased by her welcome. They need a number to call to find out that once I open the door the dog wil be friendly and lick them to bitsrather thant tear their throats out.
    We give out our number in good faith when we order things. We don't expect this to be abused, particulary whem we registered on the TPS website.

6. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

And if you live in a place like us, they need that number so you can direct them to the house ! Just the other day, someone spent over an hour trying to find us before he had the intelligence to call and ask for directions....