1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do they ever let up?!?!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by nervous_nqt, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Hi everyone!
    Well, I very rarely post on here and if I do its not too indepth but today i'm feeling really despondent and could really do with some advice from some other teachers. I'm a NQT in Year Two and i'm having real issues with their behaviour. I have about five boys in the class who are always fighting, playing rough, running around the classroom when its a introduction on the carpet. When asked to sit down they (one in particular) will give me a straight up 'no' followed by tantrums, physical threats to myself, aggression to other children and general chaos. I try to use time out, loosing two minutes of play, followed by removal from the lesson with the headteacher. None of them seems to have any sustainable impact. I've had meetings with parents and whilst it seems effective at the time that too has no sustainable impact. On the other hand I have a series of positive rewards and the children know exactly what they need to do to get these and I always look for ways to get them onside but they just cannot listen and even when I am with them 1:1 just cannot follow simple instructions. Every time I get them from the playground they have been in trouble for fighting, lashing out, refusing to line up etc. Each of them now has a behaviour book, where we meet at the end of the lesson and give them a happy or sad face for behaviour and their parents have to sign it at the end of the day but they can't seem to link their present behaviour to what goes in the book, if that makes sense. One of the boys in particular does have emotional and social problems, another has an IBP and another moderate learning difficulties so they all have relevant support etc but in class/playtime all of them seem to come together to create a powerful and destructive force.
    I feel so guilty for the other children as I really feel that this constant battle with behaviour is effecting their learning. Other teachers who cover my ppa/nqt time are feeling the same with them and I know their teacher last year had exactly the same problem but I honestly don't know what to do for the best now. I went on a course about behaviour and everything has been implemented, the children have a good routine and i'm trying to keep reinforcing the system rather than changing it so that the children know exactly where they stand but I'm just not seeing any improvement in their behaviour. I feel as if OFSTED came in now I don't think any of my lessons would be 'good' because I spend too long battling behaviour at the expense of learning.

Sorry for the long post! Just wondering if anyone has had any similar experiences and found a way of dealing with it?

Thanks for any help :)

2. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

Yes, I had a similar NQT experience last year, in Year 4. All I can say is, keep going! My class were notorious, had the previous experienced teacher in tears and already driving their new teacher to distraction this year. It was the same mix of boys having behaviour difficulties, fighting etc. and girls being bitchy to each other, falling out and so on. None of them can work together well, was a complete nightmare and took me (sorry to say) about half a year to get them anywhere near a state where much learning was going on.
    Do remember to ask for help and support; you have a right to expect this from school. However, if your class are considered very difficult, it's naughty of your school to give them to you as an NQT. Don't despair, though! Any behaviour management strategy will take a while to have an effect. My advice is to focus on one thing at a time, e.g. transitions, or working quietly, or lining up nicely. Once you have that sorted, move onto something else.
    A good trick for lining up is to say, "I have my eye on a secret person. I'm going to be watching them line up today. If they do well each time, they'll get a star/sticker/reward." The kids don't know who it is and have to try and remember to line up properly. If the child you have your eye on does well, you can name them and give them a reward. If they don't, just say "Today's secret person didn't manage to line up brilliantly each time, so no reward this time." That way there's no name and shame.
    It's going to take time, whatever you do, because you're new to the class, the school and the job! Do ask for the support you need and take on any advice given in observations. As for Ofsted, don't worry too much! They came halfway through the school year and I was graded Outstanding; if I can do it with that lot, you can too with your lot!
    Good luck!

3. I just wanted to say thank you for this tip, my class are terrible at lining up, this will hopefully work well! I will try it tomorrow! :)

4. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

Let me know how it's all going, if you read this!

5. Hi Sillow
    Cannot believe it has been four months since I logged on - I actually forgot that I wrote this! Thank you for your wonderful advice (even though me saying that is completly overdue!) Sometimes I have really bad days and think my class have got nowhere but this post has shown me how far they really have come - I think i'd forgetten how bad they were! They have got a lot better now (thankfully!|) they still have their bad days and a few new additions to the class have caused some disruption just as I felt as though I was getting there but they really have settled down more so.

Thanks so much for your advice, it sounds as though you have some brilliant ideas! xxx