1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do these sound like bogus redundancies?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by bbg22, Jul 11, 2011.

1. A teaching associate of mine is about to be made redundant from a school along with two others (all teaching staff, out of a very big staff). These where made on the grounds that it was believed that the LEA was forced to make spending cuts in most of the schools, and especially this one due to declining numbers. However, the redundancies are still occuring in spite of the numbers being confirmed for next year as being as high as ever before. Additionally, it was made to all to believe in the staff that cuts where to be made in all the schools in the LEA, yet there are in actual fact no other redundancies in any of the other schools in the area, yet the senior management team made it it out that they where initially under pressure to get this done from the LEA.
    In addition, the school has had a number of resignations since the redundancies where announced, as it was felt those staff could be kept if this happened. However, these staff have not been kept and the other positions have been replaced.
    In addition, there are tonnes of jobs and promotions in education at the moment, and the financial crisis in my estimation is well on its way to recovery. I have never heard of redundancies before among teaching staff, and the reality seems that there are more promotions and jobs than ever before Do these seem genuine? I am very concerned for my freind as it sounds like it may be a farce. What are other peoples opinion on these? Has anyone witnessed many redundancies in education, or does this sound like a case of playing politics/pulling the wool over people's eyes in the midsts of media hype?
    Opinions welcome

2. OK. On the assumption that this is not a wind-up; how can anyone in education NOT know of the significant level of job losses in schools as budgets are hard hit at the moment. Local Authorities are laying off thousands of staff due to massive budget cuts by central government.
    If the school is a state maintained setting it will have had to follow LEA (LA) rules for redundancy, including consultation with unions etc.Chances are there is a need for the job cuts. It could be that the school is having to down size staffing for any number of reasons.

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

What Tom said.
    Plus - all schools are different, have different financial (especially pay) obligations and the need for redundancies in one school may not be felt in another.

4. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Sounds like your friend and their skills are surplus to requirements. End of.

5. phlogiston

phlogiston Lead commenter

Many schools have had redundancies. The scale of these will depend on the state of the school budget and on the balance of recruitment to year 7 compared to loss of year 11. It is perfectly possible for one school to have redundancies while the one up the road has to recruit people, similarly. promotions depend on the staff turnover. A school may lose lots of staff because it's given such brilliant professional development to its staff that they're all off to run other places. Alternatively, they may be leaving in desparation.
    My school has had potential redundancies among teaching and non teaching staff every spring. So far we've managed to juggle things so that there have not been compulsory redundancies.
    Hope your friend finds something else. Redundancy is not nice.
    P