1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do the SNP favour the scrapping of Denominational Schools?

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by Freddie92, Feb 13, 2012.

1. stebo

stebo New commenter

Aber's great value.
    Just unfortunate that this is possibly a teacher ( I use the term loosely)

2. socrates82

socrates82 Occasional commenter

To be fair, I would always expect parents to pass on what they believe. And I think we'd all agree on the sort of home environment you describe, being desirable for kids. But I would say that having that doesn't diminish a child's right to be informed of a wide range of views? That's where, for me anyway, a more neutral school system would come in.

Happy to agree to differ.

3. Aber1991

Aber1991 New commenter

Could you be fair to Catholics?

4. Aber1991

Aber1991 New commenter

Cthulthu

"(although, as a Catholic, you obviously have more experience of evidence-free belief than I have)."
    That sectarian taunt indicates that you are not a fit person to have power over Catholics.

5. socrates82

The Runnymede Trust believes that faith schools must become schools for all children in order to encourage interaction between people of different faiths and ethnicities.
    http://www.runnymedetrust.org/publications/115/32.html

Runnymede is the UK’s leading independent race equality thinktank, generating intelligence for a multi-ethnic Britain through research, network building, leading debate, and policy engagement.

Are they "bigots"?

6. Never having wished to have power over Catholics, I don't really understand your point. However, the phrase "sectarian taunt" I do take exception to: all religions and denominations of religions are devotees of evidence-free belief- how could it be otherwise? That you assumed I was indulging your paranoia is an indicator of your own sectarianism, not to mention your profound stupidity.

7. Aber1991

Aber1991 New commenter

So you admit to verbal aggression against defenceless Catholic pupils.
    P.S. Your sentence construction distresses me. The word "only" in your sentence should have been placed after the word "insult". Please mend your ways.

8. Aber1991

Aber1991 New commenter

So you insult pupils who say that they hate literature. You are an evil teacher, a middle-class bully. There are many teachers like you, very many.

9. Oops. We've done this so many times before I thought you'd realise I was joking.

10. The only thing that's Presbyterian about Aber is his sense of humour. In that respect, he's quite ecumenical.

11. Aber1991

Aber1991 New commenter

I disapprove of jokes. I am a Catholic.

12. If parents feel as strongly as you do about their Catholic faith, they send their children to a private Catholic school. Sorry to say, but business being business, their children will be taught and mixed with non-catholic.
    the majority of catholic children go to state schools. they get their catechisme on the Wednesday in their church (children do not attend school on Wednesdays until 4th year).they get time off for their "communion solennelle" when they are 11 or 12 years old.
    if where you live people have the same attitude towards religion as you have, no wonder they are anti-catholics. you promote intolerance which is not what my catholic upbringing did. i was taught to respect others and to accept that one may not think like me. But it does not mean that they are evil.

13. previous post addressed to Aber191

14. Aber1991

Aber1991 New commenter

cyrilla
    "If parents feel as strongly as you do about their Catholic faith, they send their children to a private Catholic school. "
    I do not understand that sentence.
    "Sorry to say, but business being business, their children will be taught and mixed with non-catholic."
    Nor do I understand that sentence.
    "the majority of catholic children go to state schools. they get their catechisme on the Wednesday in their church (children do not attend school on Wednesdays until 4th year).they get time off for their "communion solennelle" when they are 11 or 12 years old."
    What point are you making? If some Catholics are happy with that arrangement, that is their business.
    "if where you live people have the same attitude towards religion as you have, no wonder they are anti-catholics."
    So you approve of anti-Catholic bigotry.
    "you promote intolerance which is not what my catholic upbringing did."
    No, I respond to Protestant aggression.
    "i was taught to respect others and to accept that one may not think like me. But it does not mean that they are evil."
    A person's opinons do not indicate that he/she is evil. His/her behaviour does.

15. [​IMG]

16. Aber1991

Aber1991 New commenter

Kurtz32"then I realised that you're not serious... you're having a laugh, admittedly a dated and boring laugh, but a laugh none the less. The reason you must be joking is because if you were serious I'd be stunned if you were allowed with a mile of any educational establishment."
    Please apologise for accusing me of having a laugh. I disapprove of laughing. I am a Catholic.
    "as representative of the part of Scotland not still embroiled in sectarian turmoil - eg: everywhere but Glasgow and its local environs - we don't actually care about the denominational schools 'issue'... we've moved on."
    I am glad that in your part of Scotland, there is no campaign to rob Catholics of their schools. Please do not start such a campaign.

17. Aber1991

Aber1991 New commenter

cyrilla

"i have been teaching in non-denominational schools for a fair number of years, and have NEVER had any issues of disagreement among children because of religion (and I work in the West of Scotland) (I would not always say the same about the adults!)"
    That is interesting, very interesting. Please tell me more about the disagreements with adults.
    "the point I am making is that French Catholics differ from West of Scotland Catholics."
    Yes. Scottish Catholics probably are different from French Catholics. They have been on the receiving end of oppression for many decades.
    "would I be wrong in saying that West of Scotland catholics differ from any other catholics?"
    Yes, you would be wrong, very, very wrong. They are similar to Australian Catholics, American Catholics and almost identical to Ulster Catholics.

18. socrates82

State schools belong to the State, not any particular group of parents.If the state decides to phase out the denominational element of the current denominational schools, then that would be the result of a decision by a democratically-elected government. No-one would be "robbed" and all parents (of whatever faith grouping they choose to label themselves with) would be on the same footing.
    All children could then be given the neutral and pluralistic information on religion which it is their right to receive.

19. In my non-denominational West of Scotland secondary, 2 members of the SMT, 5 faculty heads, 4 out of 9 members of my department and 10-15% of the pupils are Catholic. They are clearly being oppressed.

20. Some? That's a change from your normal opinion! I'm glad we've convinced you some can be trusted.