1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do the letters we use to talk about EYFS make us better teachers?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by hyssop_puppy, Oct 28, 2011.

1. I'm posing this question to separate this issue from another thread where this has become the main point for debate.
    I would like to say here also, that I do not believe that abbreviations such as CLL, KUW etc etc, prevent us from being effective teachers. But then neither do I believe that they make us better at our job.
    They are merely a frame of reference. I acknowledge that they can be a pain toget your head round as a new EY practitioner, or indeed as someone trying to understand the EYFS from outside of Early Years.
    I do agree with posters on the aforementioned earlier thread who argue that all this kind of jargon is can be a "waste of time", but my point here is that we can be as effective teachers with them as we can without them.

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

and my point is that if you can be just as an effective teacher without them then perhaps the time and energy spent doing something (that after all doesn't improve your teaching or the children's learning even if it doesn't stop you being effective) could be better used doing something that will improve teaching and learning (even if that something is relaxing so you aren't totally worn out by the end of term).

3. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

WABWOT!

4. If you think that, why are you wasting it replying?

5. . . . and I don't disagree with a single thing you've said, especially the relaxing part!!
    Paperwork is definitely the bane of teaching although profiles do generate some extremely useful information. And as for the 'letters' they can help speed up the process, as I said as a frame of reference.

6. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

As a parent I've never understood why schools are so fixated with acronyms and jargon. It looks really unprofessional and some of it is downright silly. I cringe when I see 'Walt' and 'Wilf' and all that other stuff on classroom walls.

7. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

No matter how many times I'm told what WALT and WILF stand for I can't remember - there is a word missing from one of them I seem to remember, but that is all I remember. One of my children writes WALT at the start of everything she writes at home, and then some kind of (amusing) objective for her writing ........... but when I ask her what WALT stands for she has forgotten too!!
    WALT and WILF are at the front of the classroom too ..... but nothing to say what they stand for. So I don't dare ask again.

8. Msz

Msz Established commenter

We Are Learning Today
    What I'm Looking For
    we don't have either of these annoying individuals on role