1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do teaching vacancies have to be advertised?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by salix, Apr 28, 2011.

1. As one of several teachers on a temporary contract, hypothetically, could I be offered a permanent contract or have my contract extended another year, without having to be interviewed, and without having the new vacancy advertised to the other temporary teachers? Or would the school be obliged to advertise the post and interview interested parties?

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

They can appoint without advertising at all; however, school policy may stipulate that posts be advertised.

3. char2505

char2505 New commenter

Interesting. I though that in this scenario they had to advertise, but it could be internally only.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Nope! No need at all, legally. Not internally or externally.

But they may choose, as a school, to always advertise.

5. Loony tunes

Loony tunes New commenter

My understanding is that only head/deputy posts have to be advertised. I was interviewed for a temporary post last year which is now being made permanent without being readvertised. Ask your head about it. If you're on a temp contract, you're perfectly entitled to have a is my contract likely to be extended chat. Make a big deal about how much you love your current job but that you need to know as other jobs are beginning to be advertised and if you do need to find a new job, now is the time to start. Good luck!