1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do teachers have it easy? Sky News

Discussion in 'Personal' started by MrLW1, Sep 21, 2019.

1. MrLW1

MrLW1 New commenter

Not sure if any of you saw 'The Pledge' on Sky News last night. There was a discussion about teachers' workload. Journalist Carole Malone insisted it isn't excessive and cited a study out this week that indicated that the hours teachers work each week hasn't changed for the last 25 years and therefore the workload has not got worse.

Why do some people outside of the profession still think that workload is not an issue and is not getting worse? Is this why governments never do anything about it - because they genuinely think it's not a problem, rather than agree it is but decide not to do anything about it?

The first 60 seconds sum up her argument!

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Lots of people like to make comments about teaching who know f*** all about teaching.

Ignore them - I do.

che48, steely1, TCSC47 and 12 others like this.
  3. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

And I care about her opinion why?

steely1, TCSC47, Laphroig and 5 others like this.
  5. letap

letap Occasional commenter

Malone is a former hack News of the World journalist who is not taken seriously - not really worth getting wound up about.

che48, steely1, TCSC47 and 3 others like this.
  6. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

When Sky News is the only news channel we can pick up when travelling abroad, we still don't watch it.

You'll get more journalistic integrity out of the Disney Channel. Ignore.

che48, Sally006, steely1 and 8 others like this.
  7. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Wot MSB said

steely1, TCSC47 and Corvuscorax like this.
  8. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

In 2009, a complaint to the Press Complaints Commission about one of Malone's columns in the News of the World which claimed that illegal immigrants receive "free cars", led to the newspaper being forced to issue a clarification that "illegal immigrants do not receive such a benefit and apologise for the error"

steely1, TCSC47 and hplovegame48 like this.
  9. catmother

catmother Star commenter

It's very true that on the surface,the hours of work as most non teachers would understand it has not changed. I've just retired from teaching in Scotland and on paper,most people would think it was a pretty easy job. Our contract was for 35 hours a week,we could leave as soon as the bell went (in my old school 3.10 pm) and in fact,if not teaching last lesson in the day,could even sign out and go home. Most people looking at those hours (and the holidays) would think that it's indeed a doddle.
    However,unless you live with a teacher,you do not see what goes on outside those school hours,nor understand what goes on when you are at school.

TCSC47, Alice K, bonxie and 3 others like this.
  10. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Having entered teaching quite late, I think the hard truth is you will never - ever - get other professionals on 4-6 weeks holiday a year (and having to compete with others for the best times) to think teachers have it anything but easy.

I used to think that and I would put it to you that quite a few of you were also (if not only) attracted to becoming a teacher because of what you perceived as glorious holidays and 3 o clock finishes. Certainly part of my decision to get some qualifications to join you lot :p

That this is wrong has nothing to do with the fact so, so many of us believed this and believe it to be true.

It will not change - another impossible one is parents have to make quite extensive and costly changes to their schedules during the summer break and it is understandable they get a little angry at teachers swanning about in Benidorm as they try to juggle two full time jobs and summer activities for the kids.

( I mention this as I was picked out for a twenty minute rant on this by a local resident where I live)

lardylady and catmother like this.
  11. hplovegame48

hplovegame48 New commenter

A vile woman but the sad thing is people listen to her.

steely1 likes this.
  12. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

That's the trouble - people not in the know do listen and form their opinions from carp like this!

steely1 likes this.
  13. blue451

blue451 Lead commenter

Whatever people say about teaching,if they really thought it was that attractive an option they'd be teachers.

Sally006, steely1, TCSC47 and 4 others like this.
  14. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

My husband won't stay in the room if Carole Malone is on the box. I can't tolerate her, either. The thing about The Pledge is that they tend not to have punters with middle-of-the-road points of view. Carole Malone is always at the right-hand extreme on any issue. But then you'll have people like June Sarpong, Majid Nawaaz and Afua Hirsh usually approaching the issues from the other side of the argument.

I have to say though when I tried to watch it last week and there was CM, Nick Ferrari and Andrew Pearce all singing the praises of Boris Johnson I just had to turn it off.

Rach05 and steely1 like this.
  15. letap

letap Occasional commenter

It says a lot about the UK if it is influenced by hack journalists such as Malone. Dumpty mentioned that they were subjected to a 20 minute rant by a local resident for a being a teacher. So I can surmise that the word of a hack journalist is more believable than a teacher and that members of the public can be randomly abusive towards teachers. I can see this prevailing attitude really stem the recruiting/retention crisis within the teaching "profession".

16. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Actually that is pretty unfair. My husband worked there for many years and had full editorial integrity over what he was doing. Apart from Kay Burley, whom I really can't watch, they have some pretty good journalists, especially on the politics front.

17. circuskevin

circuskevin Occasional commenter

If you watch the whole 9 minutes Carole is roundly trounced by everyone else on the panel.

Kevin

18. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I always agreed wholeheartedly with people like this, even stressed a bit more about how one could spend the 'free' time etc and invite them to join the profession by getting a degree (if nec.), training & then getting a job. I'd tell them I looked forward to seeing them in a school near mine sometime soon...;)

None ever took me up on it...:D

Rach05, Sally006, steely1 and 4 others like this.
  19. blue451

blue451 Lead commenter

This.

Say, enthusiastically "why don't you train? It's great - and I'll have someone to go on holiday with!"

Rach05, steely1, TCSC47 and 1 other person like this.
  20. Jamvic

Jamvic Lead commenter

This is exactly what I do too. Agreeing with them takes the wind out of their sails immediately and suggesting they go into teaching themselves shuts them up completely.

TCSC47, BertieBassett2 and blue451 like this.